1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between iso and ifo ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sunup, Feb 19, 2005.

1. sunup

sunup Regular member

At this point Im glad my status is still newby. Ive had lots of great burns, But now I want to start learning more. Ive read the explnations on both iso and ifo and still dont understand the difference. I have been burning in iso mode.

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

from what i can work out its the F and the S as they both have I and O, IFO ISO ....hehehe...

nar ok, if you ever used winrar or winzip an iso is one file that holds other files inside! but no compresion of sorts like winzip etc...

you can extract an iso and get the ifo/bup/vob from it to burn, this is dvd structure of course! you can have iso cd for music or data say or software in iso...

ifo is like a text file of instructions that a machine reads and helps/aids play of say a dvd via a machine...

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

also in software or game iso can be better as it will hold the volume label aswell, and some software and games if the volume label isnt correct it wont work! plus an iso can keep its format of the type of disc entact like UDF/ISO and with iso extracters you can add files or delete them and keep labels and format untouched...

if you copy a windows xp cd to your hard drive, you have lots of files! you can burn these back to a cd and it will work and load xp pro to your HD but! you loose the part that enables a boot cd, so if you want the xp pro to boot from cdrom on system boot it wont!

an iso of the disc will keep the format structure! and create a 1 to 1 copy! so you will be able to boot from cdrom on load!

now some games with there protection have bad files to block getting a 1 to 1 copy so diferent apps are needed to insert blank blocks or whatever to get a game to run as you cant get 1 to 1 iso on newer game with say safedisc etc protection...

hope that helps...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005