1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference in Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Shatter, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Shatter

Shatter Member

What is the difference in Taiyo Yuden White Inkjet Printable 8X DVD-R Media and Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R Media silver thermal printable? Why is one more expensive than the other. I am looking for the best lifespan in a disc. I need to back files which I don't want to loose.

2. blktalon

blktalon Member

I haven't had much experience with the data retention of either for DVD-R media and have only used the TY white injet printable and silver lacquer...no silver thermal from TY.

I am assuming they are similar to the CD-R coatings thus any printable disc coating is better than just a silver lacquer for protection(that extra layer really helps). For the old CD-R media I found that the thermal printable coatings were superior for data retention/protection. The actual data retention was dependant on the dye/manufactuer/writer combination and for that I was using the Mitsui gold on gold. These were thermal printable gold surfaces with gold dye. I still occasionally use the data I burned on those back in the late 90's and have had zero problems. Be sure that you store the discs seperately(not on a spindle). I use special univenture safety sleeves or individual slim jewel cases to avoid scratches or any damage to either side of the discs.

I would reccommend the thermal printable surface coatings as they seem to be more durable.

3. blktalon

blktalon Member

P.S. the price difference is due to the difficulty in manufacturing costs for each type of surface coating. The TY DVD-R white injet printable surfaces seem softer and can be scratched off far easier than the thermal printable surfaces(of the CD-R media I have). The injet-printable surfaces seem to be more porus to allow the absorption of the ink while the thermal coatings seem like a addional layer of lacquer with a matte finish.

4. Shatter

Shatter Member

Thanks for the info. It really helps. Where do you get those sleeves and cases?