1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference in Verbatim 8x and 16x

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by fishbulb, Apr 21, 2005.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

I know the basic difference in these two is that one is capable of burning faster than the other. But why would they use the AZO dye in the 16x and not the 8x? Is it just to keep at least one type of Verbatim at an always reasonable price? It seems the AZO alot of times is the reason some discs are so expensive. Does a disc w/ AZO dye supposedly last longer? I like the 8x and 16x but if I knew the 8x were equally as good as 16x, I'd just buy them when they were on sale for $19.99/50 pack at places like Best Buy. I only burn at 4x, so the speed isn't an issue.

2. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

Hello Fishbulb, I really don't know the difference but , I have about three different kinds of verbatim media right now, all are 4x+r, 8x+r , And i just bought the 16x+R at best buy for 11.99 for a 25 pack :) ..i've tried a few from each. The 4x disks are the vebatim with a movie reel on them ....i have not had one bad burn with any of them, all are 100% A+ so far...i burn at 2.4 speed because quality is always an issue to me also, not speed ...verbatim = good stuff:)

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Hey fishbulb, just so you know, they do make 8x with AZO. MCC.....003 for the + and MCC02RG20 for the -.

I personally don't like these(MCC) as much as TYs becuase they seem to give me and a lot of my friends problems at higher speeds, even the DL discs at 4x. As long as you keep the speed down on these they should work fine.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

fishbulb,

Verbatum also has 8x discs with AZO dye. These are the ones you want. If they don't say AZO dye beware, those could be made by CMC MAG.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Here is all the different media you could end up with Verbatim.

Verbatim DataLife DVD+R 2.4x (CMC MAG.R01)
    Verbatim DataLife DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
    Verbatim DataLife DVD-R 2x (CMC MAG. AF1)
    Verbatim DataLife DVD-R 2x (CMC MAG.AF01)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 12x (MCC.....003)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 4x (MCC.....002)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 4x Pastel (YUDEN000-T01-000)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 8x (MCC.....003)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 8x Advanced AZO (MCC.....003)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 8x Printable (MCC 003)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+RW 2.4x (MCC.....A01)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R 4x (MCC 01RG20)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R 4x (TYG01.......)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R 8x Advanced AZO (MCC02RG20)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-RW 1x (MCC 00RW11N9)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-RW 2x (MCC 01RW11n9)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus SERL DVD+RW 4x (MKM A02)
    Verbatim DigitalMovie DVD-R 4x (MCC 01RG20)
    Verbatim DVD+R 2.4x (MCC 001)
    Verbatim DVD+R 4x (MCC 002)
    Verbatim DVD+R 4x Digital Movie (MCC 002)
    Verbatim DVD+RW 4x (MKM A02)
    Verbatim DVD-R (CMC MAG.)
    Verbatim DVD-R 2x (MCC00RG20)
    Verbatim DVD-R 4x (MCC01RG20)
    Verbatim DVD-R 8x Photo Printable (MCC 02RG20)
    Verbatim DVD-R Scratch-Resistent (CMC MAG.)
    Verbatim DVD-RW 2x (MCC 01RW11n9)
    Verbatim DVD-RW 2x (MCC01RW11)
    Verbatim DVD-RW 4x (MCC 01RW4X)

This is one reason I stick with TY it's not so comfusing. Just to let you know TY uses the AZO metal in there disks as well :)

Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 4x (YUDEN000 T01)
    Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 2x (TAIYOYUDEN..)
    Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 4x Printable Silver (TYG01)
    Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 4x Printable White (TYG01)
    Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8x (TYG02)
    Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8x Silver (TYG02)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What's up bbmayo, which TYs have AZO?

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I think all of them, but not 100% sure.

I know these are
    Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8x Certified (burns at 12x or 16x on some DVD writers), White Inkjet Printable Surface Over AZO Dye, Blank DVD Media

Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 4x Certified, Silver Thermal Lacquer Printable Surface Over AZO Dye

DVD-R 8X Silver thermal printable

OK the more I Google the more I am finding out it does look like all of them use the AZO dye... :)

I knew the white inkjet printables DVD-R X8 did for sure, but now I know thay all do..

Actually if you go to this site it tells you what every disk is made of.. http://www.americal.com/ kind of neat I never heard of them before. HA HA Now I know why they want $88 for 100 of the same disks I pay $62 for at Supermedia! But they do give you more info about the disks :)

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i do not see much of a difference personally between my 8x and 16x verbatims...my 8x MCC003s have given me flawless playback, even when i burn at 8x for fun. i usually burn 4x max, but with these after trying at 8x, they are exactly the same quality. i know for a fact that the MCC003s utilize the AZO dye that you are speaking of, as i have found from almost every website reviewing the 8x speak of the AZO dye, some use the terminology of "Advanced Azo" or "Metal AZO"...while i do not know the difference between those 2 "azo's" it doesn't really seem to matter for me personally~ they might in fact be the exact same with just a different "label" for each.

i prefer my TY's as well as through the research i have done, as bbmayo stated, they ALL seem to utilize the AZO dye. as long as they are authentic, then TY uses the AZO dye on every disc they produce in Japan. while the difference is minor between verbatim and ty for me personally, i still prefer the japanese made discs only because of my own personal feelings towards the 2 countries :) personal bias that i should keep to myself and keep my mouth shut. :p

good luck w/ either of those 2 verbatims, i have found them both to be of equal quality, i can't tell the difference only because speed is not an issue for me either~

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Thanks for the info bbmayo. As for the verbatims that turned out to be coasters for me, I was reffering to the 16x speed and their DL media. 33% of the 16x discs had massive errors and though the percentage of coasters lowered at 12x, burning at 8x looked to be the fastest to burn with minimal to no major errors. The DL verbatims seem to give me the same results at 4x that the 16x ones gave me. At 2.4x, they seem to work great. Both had Advanced AZO on the label.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

This probably won't apply to most buttttt, when I first started useing verbatum dlp dvd+r hub printables MCC003, my set top player wouldn't even recognize the disc after the burn. Terrible PI and PIF spikes. I thought oh $hit and I just bought a 100 of these. Well to rectify the problem I reset the learnt media eeprom and now these discs are giving me the best burns of any media I've used, lowest spikes, play on everything.

11. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Thanks for all the responses guys. Still have a couple of questions. First of all, here are the ones I have, http://verbatim.com/support/support.cfm?product_id=9AC749E9-65B0-5A0F-82E25951DC32A661 [bold]The code on these is MCC 03RG20[/bold]
    Also,
    http://verbatim.com/support/support.cfm?product_id=F8FBA9DA-7FA8-4F2A-9D8A640905B2FDE1 [bold]The code on these is MCC 02RG20[/bold]
    They both say made in Tawain on the label.

Notice the 16x say on the label and in the description "Advanced AZO" while the 8x don't mention AZO anywhere. Do all Verbatim that have an "MCC" code use the AZO dye whether the label mentions it or not?
    Also, is the AZO dye what makes them supposedly have the longer archival life, making them last "100 years or more."
    I should be receiving my 100 pk. of TY 4x today. One reason I wanted to try them is that they also use the AZO dye.

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i had a similar situation as you when i first got the 8x MCC003s, until i use the booktype setting to change my dvd+r media to dvd-rom when burning to the disc.

i use a sony drive, so i can change the booktype to dvd-rom, not all burners can do this i know, but, i got lucky getting one of these to easily change it in seconds.

as you stated, might not mean much to most, buttttt i WAS having a problem with my stand alones reading this media until the booktype setting was changed, now they play in EVERYTHING i own.

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi kivory666

Funny thing is even when I was first having the problem, I was setting the booktype to dvd-rom. Reseting the eeprom solved all problems. I still set all my burns to dvd-rom. It wasn,t a compatability problem but rather extremely high PIF spikes at the beginning of the disc. They might have gone as high as 200. Now they seldom get over 4 and usually stay under 2. I wish I would have saved a kprobe scan to post. They were ugly.

Your sony, if its a late model, is a rebadged lite-on and you can also reset the eeprom if the need ever arises. It should also work with kprobe to scan your burns for PI and PIF errors.

I've got a benq dw1620 retail with booktype and burn speed enhancing software on order. I'm curious to see how it performs with these verbs as well as a 50pk of prodisc dvd+r hub printables that I bought just to try. My litey hates the prodiscs and refuses to give me a descent burn on them no matter what I do. They might just be crap media. Time will tell. If the benq won't burn em either, oh well, I'm only out a little over 20 bucks.

Mort

14. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

So does anyone know if [bold]ALL[/bold] Verbatim media use the AZO dye? Even the ones that don't say anything about AZO on their packaging? That's basically all I need to know.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Only there X4 disk's and higher with the MID of MCCxxx most will say on the package usually DataLifePlus..

16. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

So with the exception of the datalife plus line of verbs the only kind that use AZO are the new 16x ones, which aren't datalife plus. Right?
    But then again, the 8x that I have used and posted a link to above are MCC. So does this mean that they use AZO even though it isn't on the packaging?
    And no one answered this one yet--Does the AZO dye ensure the longest possible life of data on a disc?
    Thanks.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you go to Verbatim's website http://www.verbatim.com/index.cfm?let_pass=YES and look at all there media the only ones they advertise as using the metal AZO dye are the Data Life Plus disks...

It is claimed that the AZO dye will last longer and run more stable at higher speed than other dye's. Is this true or not who really know's for sure?

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- these are all i buy now. All burnt at 4x (i tried 2 at 8x last week, one failed the burn, t'other worked but had crc errors. But i digress, other few hundred done at 4x.

- have used from Taiwan, India and Singapore so far. £8 per tub of 25, 4 tubs at a time, with vat + postage = £37.

They just don't last 5mins :)