1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

difference of benefits b/w mod chip and soft mod

Discussion in 'PS2' started by fastted83, Apr 6, 2005.

1. fastted83

fastted83 Member

i own a modded xbox and just recently soft modded my ps2, but i was wondering if anyone can explain the difference between a soft mod and a mod chip on the ps2. like the benefits of the mod chip, because on my xbox i can use trainers and patches. i was wondering what capabilities the ps2 has

2. MarkPS2

MarkPS2 Regular member

Just wondered will the Swap magic & slide tool kit work on my ps2 its version3?

3. fastted83

fastted83 Member

yes but you have to find the right version, and you might be better off installing the flip top kit. the flip top kit makes it a lot easier to swap disks. i have both models with the swap disk, my older version has the flip top conversion, and the new one already came with the flip top

4. r0c0

r0c0 Guest

fliptops look really ugly imo

5. MarkPS2

MarkPS2 Regular member

Im going with the cheap option really seen as my dvd burner is going to cost around £70. Its not ideal but if it works I will be happy. And the Flip Top doesnt work with my version so I was told. Where is the best place to buy ps2 mods? Tks.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

the difference is actually pretty huge.
    My V7 i went the cheap-o way out. I got the flip top and use swap magic. But then, in the olden days of 2.0, you had to use both swap magic and dvdloader to load some games which was a pain. It works fine now with swap magic 3.0
    but it has all that swapping to do. and then there is all the patching and rebuilding you do on some games.

now my new PSTwo with the DMS4 Pro and ToxicOS installed is great
    it will load back ups with no swapping at all, both PAL & NTSC
    They also just released a new ToxicOS v0.3 for the DMS4 Pro that has hard drive support, and will play DVD9 back ups.
    that makes it the only chip out right now that can play the DVD9 back ups.
    you also never need to patch or rebuild an game again like you do with swap magic.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  7. fastted83

fastted83 Member

well see i was thinking about adding a mod to my slim ps2 but i was going to wait for the warranty to go by because im still kind of questioning how hot it gets without the fan. well in due time i shall add a chip and a hdd, but until i can afford it i guess ill have to patch games.