1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences in capture/production quality

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by fazgood, Jan 8, 2003.

1. fazgood

fazgood Guest

I have a Sony DCR-TRV340 and I am trying to capture movies and make them into SVCDs that can be played on my DVD player. So far I have just been using Ulead Video Studio 6 to capture the uncompressed AVI and produce the SVCD at 480 by 480. The results are pretty good but I have seen better. I am using the default settings for Ulead.

A video was sent in to my company by a vendor that was made with the same camera on SVCD cd and it looked a lot better. The entire image was sharper and noticably higher resolution. There was about 30 minutes of video on the 80 minute CD.

So... I guess my question is, how can I improve the quality of the SVCD to get a better output? I have acccess to Adobe Premiere at work if that would have a better output but I feel it may be some settings. I don't really care if I get less time per disk if that will help.

Thanks,

Joe

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I've never created SVCDs using Ulead, but the choice of encoder can make quite a difference. I think most people here use tmpgenc of cinemacraft encoder. tmpgenc is good for mpeg-1, but I tend to think cce is better for mpeg-2.

Another thing that greatly affects the SVCD quality is noise, due to the statistical nature of mpeg video streams. Use a noise reduction filter for your video. The encoder will then spend less of the available video bandwidth on reproducing the noise. A gentle amount of blur works rather nicely as well.

Achieving quality on VCD/SVCD is an art. Try out your experiments using CD-RW and before long you'll have the perfect methodology.

Rgds,
    jnihil.