1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences in playback volume between source file and the burned CD

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by jackangel, Oct 5, 2002.

1. jackangel

jackangel Member

Recently, I've taken to burning album-length mp3s to audioCD. When playing the mp3 in XP (with Windows Media Player), the volume is nice and loud at its maximum setting, and that's how I want it to sound when burned. I've also opened/played it in waveform editors like CoolEdit and SoundForge, and it sounds fine there as well, as it should. But after burning it as an audioCD (using Nero 5.5.9.9 and a Sony CRX700E cd-rw firmware 1.4u), the maximum playback volume is noticeably lower when playing the burned CD. This difference is noticed on the same system...i.e., I can play the mp3 in WMP and then switch to the CD in WMP and notice the difference, so of course the platform and its settings don't change. So far, I've used only two types of media to burn CDs, and I've noticed this phenomenon with both of them:

Sony CDQ-74CN:

ATIP: 97m 24s 11f
    Disc Manufacturer: Sony Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 656.40MB (74m 43s 00f / LBA: 336075)

Maxell:

ATIP: 97m 31s 07f
    Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 656.69MB (74m 45s 01f / LBA: 336226)

--------
    Perhaps there's something simple/obvious that I'm not aware of...but, has anyone else noticed this, and is there anything I can do to correct it, besides editing the source .mp3 itself?

Thank you

2. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

CD playback on computers has not the same volume as system playback, because it runs in a separate cable. Set the CD volume in the volume control.
    If it is already max, use a digital CD playback (WMP 7 or higher (options), Winamp 3, Winamp 2+cd reader plugin...) that will run the CD through the wave channel.

3. jackangel

jackangel Member

Thank you for your response.

I should have mentioned it, but all the playback slider settings in XP's volume control utility are maxed out. And, I have checked the WMP (I'm using WMP 9 Beta) device settings for both the DVD-ROM and the CD-RW...both are set for digital playback. I have not tried other mp3 players like Winamp, as I don't use them, but will give them a try later on if needed. Perhaps it's all unnecessary, however...I'd simply like to know if this discrepancy is solely a playback issue, and nothing to do with burning. From your suggestion, I gather that it is just a playback issue, and that seems most likely to me as well. Maybe it's just my quirky computer.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2002