1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different compression percentages with Shrink and CloneDVD.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by fehrion, Jan 18, 2004.

1. fehrion

fehrion Guest

When looking to rip a DVD with Shrink and CloneDVD they give different compression rates on the main movie even though the settings are much the same with both programs. My question is: is there any difference in quality between these two programs or do they use different methods to work out the compression? In short does it matter which program I use even though the compression ratings are different?

2. amelie

amelie Member

i use both all the time and do not notice any differences in quality. the different compression rates you are seeing may be coming from the audio. dvd shrink automatically puts a check mark next to all of the audio options for you, whereas clone dvd usually just puts a check mark next to 2 channel audio. i just checked a disc right now to see what you were talking about and it seemed like dvd shrink wanted me to compress it way more than clone dvd wanted to. by unchecking one of the 6 channel audio options in dvd shrink, i was able to get the compression rates almost equal between both programs. anyway, i am in no way an expert AT ALL so i'm sure an expert will come in here in a little while to tell you that i'm wrong and that i suck.