1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

different shades of purple

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by squizzle, Feb 7, 2005.

1. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I have a batch of Ritek G04 DVD-R and a batch of Sonic DVD-R, and I noticed that the Riteks are a darker shade of purple than the Sonics are. Does this have any correlation to the playback compatibility of the disc? Is this some kind of indication of how long the burn will last? Is it a difference in quality of the dye? Or is it just nothing at all?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I personally haven't found any correlation between the shade of dye and burn quality or playback issues.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  3. jay33

jay33 Regular member

The cheaper media seems to have a lighter shade than the good media. Princo that I have are very light colored, while Verbatim MCC I have are much darker.

4. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

I agree. Also TY media has a lighter recording surface than most other and it's definately not cheap media.

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Ya, though my TY's are pretty dark, and my TDK's are relatively light, but both have been flawless for me.

6. jay33

jay33 Regular member

If you check some of the cheap media you find they have a light color to them. I've yet to see a cheap or questionable media have a dark color to them.

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Thanks everyone for your responses. So it seems we have a couple of different opinions on this matter. I hope to see more in the future. So far the Sonics I have seem to be holding up OK, but only time will tell.

8. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

back in the old days (im talking ~10 years ago now!) the darker dye disks were usually much more reliable - especially for machines like playstations when they get older (ok im talking cd-r there)

and over the last year or so the only disks i have had problems with are cheapo very light dye disks