1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different Taiyo Yuden & Maxell

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Theilaxu, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Theilaxu

Theilaxu Member

Hi all, new to the forum and been reading alot of the posts concerning media choice for backups :)

Have some questions though,
    about to order some Taiyo Yudens,
    are there any difference in quality, etc.. between these two:

DVD+R 4,7 GB TAIYO YUDEN 16x Speed (just blank Taiyo Yudens)
    vs.
    DVD / DVD+R / 16x printable / Plextor (PLUS+R) Taiyo Yuden SILVER FULL FACE PRINTABLE 16x Speed
    both media code: YUDEN000T03

Also, are the 8X DVD+R Taiyo Yudens considered better than the 16X?

Finally, got a hold of some Maxell DVD+R 16X - media code: Maxell003
    Anyone have any thoughts on these, also good for PS2, not as good as
    yudens? etc..

Appreciate any input, -T

2. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

the maxells you have are amazing.if you booktype them when you burn your game you will happy to see the results.but you should know dvd+r discs dont work on the fat ps2 systems.but if you have a slim ps2 then use them.i suggest you dont get inkjet printable media because they aren't read as great or at all read at times.

3. Theilaxu

Theilaxu Member

Thnx for the input,

I was under the impression that ps2 from v4 and up supported DVD+R, especially if they┬┤re booktyped?

Edit: Read this at club.cdfreaks.com:
    PS2 DVDR/RW support revisions:
    Version 1-3 DVD-R/RW only
    Version 4 DVD-R/RW & DVD+R
    Version 5-10 DVD-R/RW & DVD+R/RW

-T

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  4. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

i never used dvd+r.if booktyped then maybe they work.after version 7 i think it reads dvd+r unbooktyped.

5. Theilaxu

Theilaxu Member

I'll just have to try booktyping DVD+R =)

Still, are Taiyo Yudens 8X considered better than 16X? Is this something that's true for most first class media? Maxell, Sony, etc..

And are there any differences between different Taiyo Yudens with the same media code?

In Sweden, many sites recommend Traxdata for backups. Their DVD-R 16X use RitekF01 and 8X used RitekG05... Those are considered 2nd class, or not as good it would seem?

-T

6. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

using ritek media is taking a huge chance.many people on afterdawn attempted to use riteks but didn't get the same results you normally would with any media.for some reason riteks and some burners dont go hand in hand.taiyo yuden 8x is better than its 16x.i once bought the 4x and it was awesome because i burn games at 4x anyway and its cheaper.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

anything above a V4 will read both -R and +R
    There are just some machines that are picky about it and have trouble with +R if it is not booktyped. That is why i always suggest that you buy the -R. Personally if i had the choice i would go with the 8X DVD-R Taiyo Yuden discs. Those are what i have been using for about a year now and widely considered the best DVD you can buy.
    I never suggest printable for doing games, although some PS2 systems will play them fine. and i always get them at
    http://www.supermediastore.com/media1.html?WT.mc_id=MSNsearchDVD-Supermediastore&WT.srch=1
    The Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R Silver Thermal Laquer (premium line) that is pictured on the main page is what i would use for movies, PS2,Xbox and Xbox 360 games.

and the media ID you want with Taiyo Yuden is Media ID: TYG02

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  8. Theilaxu

Theilaxu Member

I'll get my modded PS2 back tomorrow (DM4SE Lite) so I'll try some different configurations before I buy a lot of DVD's.
    I will booktype if I use DVD+R, I've got the maxell003 as I said earlier and they seem to be regarded as very good media after reading here and on club.cdfreaks.com

Otherwise I'll just get a hold of some TYG02 - As I live in Sweden this seems to be a good place to buy them with good shipping rates:
    www.iwonatec.de

-T

9. steimy

steimy Active member

well, personnaly i would have bought the DMS4 Pro as it has a few good features that the lite doesn't. But if all you are looking for is something to play back up games it will do the trick. If they do not flash the chip before they send it then you will have to do it. It is very easy i can link you to the site to get it.

10. Theilaxu

Theilaxu Member

Hm yeah I thought about the pro version, thought the big difference was that it has memory on the chip to store apps, stuff, etc..?
    Also, seeing that DM4SE Lite just now got discontinued maybe I should have gone with the pro version but I'll think I'll be satisified anyway =)

I need to flash it with toxic os on a cd right?

-T