1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difficulty of Modding

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mozo88, Sep 16, 2004.

1. mozo88

mozo88 Guest

I have been looking at my ps2 and wondering if i should mod it.

I was also wondering the difficulty level of installing a dsm3 plus mod chip? What are the sucess rates? When you buy dsm3 modchip does it come with good instructions?

I am ok with hardware but not the big engineer...the only thing i have built is this computer.

2. biglog9

biglog9 Member

its not how good you are at hardware
    its how good you are at soldering
    if you cant solder have someone else do it

3. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

4. mozo88

mozo88 Guest

ok i never tried soldering...how hard would it be if it is my first time

5. PupDog44

PupDog44 Regular member

If you have never soldered before. Dont even think about trying to mod your ps2.. you are better off sending it in.

6. biglog9

biglog9 Member

you really dont what to try it yourself if you never soldered before, but if you want to try soldering then go find an old circuit board somewhere and practice on that. try putting a small wire (30gauge) onto a bios chip.

you will soon realize that it is not easy for a beginner and you will just send your ps2 to get done.

7. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i found that a good comparison to the ps2 motherboard is an old gameboy color game. if you have one take it apart and look at how small the points are. now trying soldering a little tiny wire to one of those and then when you are done, take the wire back off, put your cartridge back together and see if it still works. if it does good job, you have to do about 40 of those in a modchip install.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  8. mozo88

mozo88 Guest

two more questions...

when u buy a dsm3 chip does it come with good instrutions?

where is a good reliable and cheap place to get my ps2 modded?

9. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

10. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

If you have a steady hand then you will be able to do it yourself.

When i did my 1st ps2 i had hardly any soldering experiance but quite a steady hand. The points are very small but can be done 1st time.

If you havnt a steady hand or very confident then get it done at 1 of the following sites: http://www.norcalmods.com, www.modchipman.com, www.modchipstore.com all are very reliable and fast shipping.

11. snaker

snaker Member

My friend if you really want to do it,then do it.I remember my first time.I have never soldered a chip on ps1 and i had never soldered something in my hole life.I have soldered chips only on ps2 and xbox systems.The first time my heart was beating so hard and i had the customer above my head,I was so sceared not to screw it up.I had spend hours on the internet to get the correct stuff for soldering.(Soldering iron 15w,tip 0.12 mm,the corect wire and solder,flux...and more).Maybe at the begining it will be a little hard but then the satisfaction that you will take will be very big.And one last.IF YOU WANT TO DO A JOB GOOD,DO IT YOURSELF,THERE IS ALWAYS A FIRST TIME.Take extreme caution and you will do it.

12. lucifer69

lucifer69 Regular member

snaker is right i did my on my first time with matrix infinity i had done more than 12 more ps2 and i'm only 16 years old but be careful