1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

digital coax audio

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by mduga, Mar 31, 2007.

1. mduga

mduga Regular member

i wanted to see what my dvd player would sound like in digital audio, instead of analog. i connected a regular rca type cord from my dvd player to my receiver. the receiver is a couple years old, but can output dolby digital and dts audio.

it plays the sound, but when i try to put it into dolby digital or dts, it does nothing and stays at the current setting of pro logic.

the receiver is a kenwood vr-2080. is the reason it's not going into dolby digital or dts mode, because i am not using a genuine digital coax cable, or because something is wrong with my receiver?

i checked the manual and it says to set the digital input to auto and when i do that, it still doesn't go into dd or dts... it says pcm. whats that mean?

i wanted to buy a digital coax cable, but if it's not going to work, i won't even bother.

thanks for any help...

EDIT: Well i figured i would just go out and buy the good stuff. so i bought the fiber optic wire, but realized when i got home that my dvd player only outputs digital coax, so i returned the other stuff and got the digital coax. well this didn't help out at all. it sounds just the same as it did before, and still no dolby digital or dts... why won't it work? i reread the manual and all it says to set the digital input to auto. it says pcm - auto. this is really pissing me off a lot now. i have spent $20 on this stupid wire and it sounds exactly the same as the regular rca cables did. can't return it now since i opened it. can anyone help me? i checked the audio output on my dvd player and it says dolby digital. not to much action in this forum i see.

well i am about to just take this damn receiver to the pawn shop and get one that will go into dolby digital or dts mode... worst part is i have 2 receivers that are exactly the same and either of them will go into dd or dts. go figure.

thanks for any help provided.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. JVC

JVC Active member

Go into your dvd player's setup menus, and set the audio output to "Bitstream", or "Raw", whichever terminology it uses. It may also have a separate setting to turn "ON" dts............maybe not. Once this is done, it should automatically go to the DD soundtrack, when there is one. You will need to manually choose the DTS soundtrack in the movie's menus, under "AUDIO SETUP". or "LANGUAGES". It won't auto detect DTS, in a movie, but it should on a DTS cd.
    Good luck!

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@mdgua...also, check your manual to see if you have to manually initiate the microprocessors. Many do.

Hi JVC :) Kindly pardon my two cents worth!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  4. JVC

JVC Active member

Hey gerry.........
    Nothing to pardon. You're welcome to add a whole $.04 worth, if you want to! :eek:)

5. mduga

mduga Regular member

Good call on that. It was my DVD player... I set it to bitstream and turned DTS and now it automatically detects both. Thanks.

-Duga

6. LeoJames

LeoJames Member

What is bitstream and do all DvD players have it, I have a similar problem but can not find bitstream on my DvD player menu?

7. JVC

JVC Active member

It should be in the dvd player's setup menus, under audio output. If it says "Bitstream", depends on the terminology they used in your brand. It may say "Raw" instead. It could just say digital audio "ON". If you don't see any of these words, just try different settings, for audio output, and see which one works. Let us know which term they used? :eek:)
    Good luck!