1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIGITAL SOUND Problems

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by RJMJ, Feb 4, 2002.

1. RJMJ

RJMJ Guest

After I rip a DVD, I use DVD2AVI to extract the audio file. It is saved as a wave file. My problem is, when I play my DVD in a stand-alone player, it recognizes the sound as analog. Why does it not recognize the sound as a digital sound? Why not pcm or sound form of digital? My digital receiver can auto detect DTS, Dolby Digital, PCM, and analog. I thought that it would at least recognize the sound as PCM. I have also used Smartripper with the same rsults. Am I doing something wrong?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

What do you mean? Your original DVD doesn't have digital tracks or you can't get it out of the DVD? Or your DVD-R copy? Or VCD? Or what...?

3. RJMJ

RJMJ Guest

When I rip the DVD(vob) files, I use DVD2AVI to extract the audio portion of the movie. I use Tmpenc to encode the file MPEG2. It puts both the audio and the video together to create one(1) file. When I burn the file to DVD, what sound stream should have been created? DTS, Dolby Digital, PCM or Analog? When I play the DVD as a stand-alone, the sound is analog.

4. dRD

Yeah, it's analog, because you downmixed the audio with DVD2AVI. You're not really doing the best method for DVD-R copy if you're re-encoding the video. There are multiple threads in our forums available that discuss about DVD->DVD-R copying and currently the best way to do this is to rip the movie to HDD, strip out unnecessary streams (like German audio, Swedish subtitles, etc) with VOBRator and to create new IFOs with IFOEdit and burn the thing back to DVD with Nero.

5. RJMJ

RJMJ Guest

Thanks! I will look at other threads. But do you know of any software that I can used for stripping.

6. dRD

VOBRator like I said. Good guide is available at doom9.