1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital TV

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by ej36, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ej36

ej36 Newbie

Looking to replace my dreambox500s and get into IPTV has anyone got or heard of the MAG250 thinking of buying one.

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

its a basic streaming / media box from what I can see, there loads out there better than that, higher specs, better outputs such as SPDIF / Optical etc, HDMI 1.4, like the Geniatech / Sumvision Android boxs running 4.2 or Midnight linux boxs, they are all running XBMC and Navi X, I wouldnt be getting rid of a dreambox to run one of these entirely for my TV needs thats for sure, although the chans and apps on the boxs are good and more added etc, I would rathur pick up a low cost HD box such as a F3 or F5

Try not to multi post either, the Mods will strike fairly quick!

3. ej36

ej36 Newbie

Thanks only joined yesterday and new to this, heard it was a good site for advise was told about the Mag250 on another site and had it ordered before I got your reply but saw one working today and looked good will let you know how I get on with it they said I should have it Monday.

4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Yeah sure, be interesting alright, the only thing thats throwing me is the low memory on the mag box, 250mb which isnt very high especially for rendering high detail pic, this is the one I am using at present

CYclone X2, I am running the Geniatech firmware wich 10 times better than the stock firmware that comes on it, both the Geniatech and Sumvison Cyclone x2 and the mygica are all the same box, which can run the same firmwares, will do a review of it soon. has played everything I have thrown at it, streamed 1080p films on via the wireless and not one blip!

CPU - ARM CORTEX A9 DUAL CORE, 1500MHz, 3D engine
    RAM - 1GB
    Google Play pre-installed
    4GB Flash memory (expandable using SD/SDHC card)
    Inputs - 4x USB port, SDHC slot
    Outputs - HDMI, AV, component, optical port, coaxial port
    LAN - RJ45 and Wi-Fi 802.11n 150Mbps
    Video Output - 1080P
    Android- 4.1

5. mellio

mellio Member

I have been enquiring about this Mag250 as well and supposedly it can receive
    digital feed not just streaming. let just say there is a service being offered that
    uses this if you pay for a monthly gift, very pricey though!

Nothing to do with me just something I have read elsewhere probably the same place as ej36.

Have to agree with Mickah the F3 or F5 is probably the cheapest entry option and
    and plenty of options out on this.

The only pull on the Mag250 is no requirement to put up a dish.

6. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

There are apps on XBMC which have all what ya get on the F3's etc, in HD also,without going into much detail, for free, just think the f3 boxs are great value for what they do,

7. mellio

mellio Member

Any chance you can pm me on how i go about using XBMC on the laptop for what you suggested?

I am currently using wiziwig for my own needs and Bloodzeed on Ace Stream is pretty good!

8. ej36

ej36 Newbie

9. mellio

mellio Member

Hi ej36 were you went to write something?

10. ej36

ej36 Newbie

That was the main reason for going for this box my dish needs replacing and fed up of looking for software and messing with cables saw one working and just want good quality TV with little effort just internet connection needed should have it Monday so will let ye know how it works out.

11. mellio

mellio Member

As you seen one working is the picture quality as good as tv?

from where I an looking though it still seems pricey but you do get it all!

Good Stuff, yes let us know how you get on?

12. ej36

ej36 Newbie

Got it today less than 2 minutes to set up HD and RCA connection's picture perfect its also a media player and plays all file types can surf the net and more very happy.

13. cactikid

cactikid Active member

14. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

had a look at it, a basic but very underpowered media streamer in my opinion, 250mb of RAM is not good by todays standards, the majority of the Android / Linux boxs are running over a gig of ram and are dual core, the apps/chans on XBMC such as Mashup, have all the movies in 1080p and all the sports in HD also, they are updated daily, Navi-X add-on is a wealth of TV, Movies, Sports and live TV and all for free to, no payments or subs,

EDIT - Melio, below is how to add XBMC and also Fusion to it, which gives you all the Apps I mention, you wont need to stream anything again if you load this and the MASHUP app, all HD sports if ya get me

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2012/04/24/fusion-easy-addon-installation-for-xbmc/

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  15. mellio

mellio Member

Cheers Mickah,

Tried installing fusion but get the following message when trying to install:

Unable to Connect

Could not retrieve directory information
    this could be due to network not being connected.
    Would you like to be connected anyway.

If I still connect the process wont work.

16. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Not sure what the story is there, mines working fine and thats the steps I followed, did you miss a step or enter a wrong digit somewhere,

17. mellio

mellio Member

Mybe there is a setting in the router stopping me from pulling down the web page into xmbc. I am on the new UPC horizon box. Im thinking there is possibly a client option disabled or something like that.

nothing really out there when I google this issue, strange!

I have tried it several times and uninstalled and re-installed just to be sure.

I have checked the system area and it states Internet and server connected yet unable to pull down the directory when setting up fusion.

What version are you on 12.2 Frodo?

18. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

yip running 12.2 frodo, its the stable version at the min, running it on the PC and on the Cyclone X2

19. mellio

mellio Member

Well Mickah I uninstalled and re-installed and went through the steps again and hey presto it worked.

I am sure I typed in the address correctly as I went thruogh it letter by letter,symbol by symbol.

Anyway impressed so far with the HD Mov*e content in Mashup.

Still unable to find HD Sp*rt channel, is this like Wiziwig where it is only available on the day? Do you get this from Mashup or somewhere else?

I installed the wizardhub which contains pretty much all necessary repositories.

Still undecided whether its more useful than the normal D/L mov*e route and stream Fo*ty?

Thankyou anyway for the heads up on this, its kind of kept me rather busy
    checking it out.

20. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

The sports were in Mashup, but there is some sort of wrangling going on, but I can tell you it blows streaming from sopcast or ace out of the water from what I seen, in sportsdevil I think you will get the wiziwig streams to, so you will get 3 pm games in there somewhere, as ya add more and more it it is excellent, especially the 1 chan app, all the TV and movies ya could want, running on my Cyclone box on the TV its excellent