1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digitalfaq dvd media guide

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jellyink, Dec 19, 2004.

1. jellyink

jellyink Member

About the media guide on Digitalfaq.com, does the percentage rate indicate the success rate of making a backup of a dvd? Does a higher percentage also mean that the dvd won't jump as much in a standard dvd player?

Thanks for your help.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello jellink, the digitalfaq guide has not been updated for a while,but it can get you close. The higher the % success rate, the better it should be. I use 1st and 2nd rate media and i have a 99% success rate. They also play great in all the stand alones for myself,friends, and family. The lower class "poor media" may lead to problems when playing back in stand alones. Symptoms of poor quality media: Freezing,jumping,pixellating,skipped chapter, and "no disc errors". Your stand alones will tell you what media it likes. Hope this may help ya out, Later

3. jellyink

jellyink Member

Alright, thanks for the help. I recently got a pack of Fugifilm x8 DVD-R and they turned out to be Prodisk, with an +80% success rate.

4. jellyink

jellyink Member

Ohh, and one more thing. Does the faq only relate to performance on a stand alone dvd player? Will the disk perform differently when used in a DVD drive on a pc, as data or as a dvd?

EDIT - Sorry for the double post.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those fugi's should be ok, just because is says second rate doesn't mean they will be good for 80% success rate. Quite a few people here that prefer prodisc. The guide mainly refers to pc burning. I have had issues with both pc and my tv home recorder. The better media does play better on stand alones.Every laser is different between burners and players, this variance will be magnefied when you play them on a stand alone/s.I just burn to backup my video collection, I have little need to keep data on them,but have seen a few issues on how poorer quality media will mess up regular data dvd's. Also a lot of people talking about their cheaper media is breaking down quicker,sometimes 6 months after burns, but the better media is still holding up. Dvd's were intended to last 100 years, now people are finding out they don't. Later