1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct capture from avi, mpeg etc.

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mr_nabo, Mar 7, 2005.

1. mr_nabo

mr_nabo Member

Does anyone know if it's possible to capture directly from .avi (DivX, xVid), .mpeg etc. using a capture card? I use Leadtek's software Winfast PVR to capture from external devices such as a video player or an aerial. But I was wondering if I could record from an avi file in the same way?

I've used software such as Vegas to isolate the clips I want from the original avi/mpeg file, but sometimes only the audio or video track appears in the timeline. I also can't extract just the audio using Soundforge (for use with avi files that only register a video track in Vegas).

Anyone know why there's this incompatibility issue with DivX or xVID encoding and Vegas/Soundforge? The files work fine in Media Player.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

(My capture card is a Winfast TV2000XP Expert, and I'm running a fairly heavy duty P4 3GHz machine).

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

It's probably an audio codec issue, not video, thus DivX/Xvid have no bearing on it.
    If the source files are downloads, open them in Gspot to see if they actually do contain audio.
    If they play in WMP, that just means that WMP has the decoder needed, not necessarily any other apps.

3. mr_nabo

mr_nabo Member

Is there anyway of allowing programs such as Vegas access to the codecs? I thought when codecs are installed they can be used by any program?

Sound is on all the files because I can hear audio through wmp. Is there a good program I can buy/freeware that converts videos between formats so I can use the video in Vegas?

Thanks for your help so far

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Like I said. WMP doesn't mean anything. It uses it's own combination of MS codecs (or tries to download them from MS automatically), and has nothing to do with the other codecs you have on your system.
    It's one of the worst players around for computer multimedia.
    Vegas will access any file that IT has the codec for.
    Again, this is an audio codec issue (I think).
    Did you download and install Gspot?
    Did you open the avi and see what codecs it uses?
    Did you download and install those codecs?