1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dirt cheap burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dlc2000, Apr 27, 2005.

1. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's crazy. I've heard very good things about the NECs lately and I'm hearing them from folks I trust so it makes me wonder how they can sell them that cheap.

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

4. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

I replaced my external LiteOn 851S with an internal (beige) 3520A a couple of weeks ago. I got it from NewEgg for $56.00. Really pleased with it. Looks like my son might be in the market for a new burner. His NEC (don't know #) in his Dell (bought April 04) has gone kaput. He is 1 week out of warranty. I told him to contact Dell anyway and they might cut him some slack -- if not, will get one of the black ones from NewEgg.

5. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Father in law was looking into the Pioneer 109, and to our surprise the Pioneer 109 has NEC chipset, so I guess the NEC can't be that bad :)

I have a Dell OEM NEC-3450A and I'm very happy with it !

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

these burners do a good job , i picked one up for my girl a few months back and had no trouble with it . these burners are one of the cheapest ways to get into dvd burning , if you are trying to keep costs down . i paid more for 100 taiyo yuden disc's than i did for the burner .

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

wow,

that nec3520a i got for $85 when it FIRST came out~ it's down to $50 w/ free shipping now~ incredible how prices have plummeted so much.

im always the guy who "takes the plunge" early on to try out new drives and new media, so, to say that for $15 more i could have bought 2 now for the price i paid THEN is really depressing~ :)

it's a great drive, i use the nec on my 2nd computer, but burns flawlessly nevertheless. i have my pioneer 109 and my sony dru-710a on my main setup and with thousand+ burns, i do have to say pioneers and sony do in fact live up to their reputations.

i would pick up another nec3520a since it's been great so far for casual backups, but, i have another pioneer 109 waiting in the bubble wrap in case a drive goes bad this month :) it's so tempting w/ these prices...much like you dlc2000, i pay about 4x as much for media than i could for the price of this nec, but, then again, i buy media in bulkloads rather than spindles :)

good day to u all

8. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

kivory666: based on your recommendation I ordered the NEC burner mentioned in this thread. The price is down to $48.99 at Newegg which includes free shipping and a free $10 gift. Price on this model has been dropping like a brick. Hopefully it will live up to the expectations that I have for this drive for this low price.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  9. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i really don't think you will be disappointed with your purchase, this is an excellent, durable drive and for the price, i don't see any other drive that can come close.

a new firmware just came out for this nec recently, so, you might want to look at upgrading/flashing that when you receive your order, also, newegg has some of the best prices on the net, the only problem for me is that i live in California and when you weigh in sales tax and sometimes shipping (it's not always free, but many instances it is) i can get an identical product from out of state for a tad cheaper than newegg. :)

but that is only a minor detail, bottom line, it's a good drive and i am sure you will be happy with your purchase. seems like it dropped another dollar within 24 hours huh? hehe. you got in at a good time~

good luck to you~

10. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Kivory666: Thanks.. I read in another thread that NEC suggests uninstalling Intel Ultra ATA Storage Controller, Intel Accelerator when updating their firmware. I am sure when I receive the new burner I will want to update the firmware. I "presume" that "uninstalling" the Intel devices suggested will automatically reinstall after reboot? Any info on that?

11. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

the price just keeps getting better . these drives are worth every penny in my opinion . you cant go wrong when you can get started doing dvd backups for under $100 . $48.99 for the burner , $20 for some decent media , free software decrypter and dvdshrink .

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@LABOY

while i do not have a SATA HD or utilize the Intel Accelerator, i am being honest with you that i do not have any experience with those 2 programs. i have read that thread you are speaking of and i believe neph would be the one to ask for advice. i don't want to give you false advice for something i have had no experience with.

sorry i couldn't answer your question, but, i don't want you to fry your new nec drive right out of the box~ :) but i think neph could give you some solid direction for that question.

good luck.

13. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

kivory66: appreciate your straightforwardness. I just double checked and I don't have the intel accelerator. Seems like long ago when I had to reset my DMA, a computer tech had me unintall (I think) all IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers which includes for me the Intel Ultra ATA Storage Controller, The Primary IDE Channel and the Secondary IDE channel and they all reinstalled after the reboot. I know subsequently I have uninstalled just the Primary and Secondary IDE channel to reset DMA and they have reinstalled upon reboot. Just wasn't 100% sure on the Intel Ultra ATA Storage Controller. Maybe someone else will jump in on this thread to reassure me...Many Thanks, though...

14. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

I too could not resist the bargin price for the NEC 3520A, now down to $47.99 with $2.99 FedEx shipping (arrived in 2 days with cheapest option) from Newegg.com. Free gift not worth $10, but so what! Top notch burner at very low price! Beter than my other burners!
    Does this burner need 80 wire/40 pin IDE cable or can I reuse a 40 wire/40 pin ?

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'd highly recommend using an 80 wire cable. I've seen folks have problems with the 40 wire cables.

16. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i second that , i would go with the 80 wire cable .

17. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hello everyone,

I always say, if you don't try, you won't know :)

I have a SATA HD and I do have Intel Accelator software installed.

I did NOT unstall it, and I was able to flash 3 NEC drives.

2 x NEC-3450a (Dell OEM)
    1 x NEC-3520a (Latest v3.04 firmware)

All drives are still working great.

Did I take a chance? Maybe I did, but I was ok !

My 2 cents...

18. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

I can get sony's with the same specs as the nec's for about $15 cheaper.

19. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

NEC 3520A @ $47.99 with $2.99 FedEx shipping is about the cheapest we've seen for any quality burner (much less than Sony, which is a rebadged Lite-On). Where was that better deal?

20. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

StanH1000: I noticed above how cougar_ii flashed his Nec3520 and was just wondering how you might have flashed yours. My NEC 3520 is halfway between California and my house. Should get it in a day or two.