1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dirt cheap burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dlc2000, Apr 27, 2005.

1. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

I uninstalled Intel Application Accelerator, uninstalled the other optical drive, and rebooted to Win Safe Mode. Then executed the previously downloded flash firmware.

2. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

hehe. the better deal was from a huge shop called "wow sight & sound"
    No shipping cost or nothing.

3. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Just got my NEC3520A a couple of days ago and it is super! Best $48 I have ever spent! Flashing to latest firmware was no problem, either. Ripping is very slow, but my Lite-On 167T will take take of the ripping need.

Wanted to ask some media questions for this burner. I have Maxell 8X-R and was able to burn up to 16X on those. Also have Maxell 8X+R and they will burn only to 8X. My Maxell 4X+RW burn up to 4X and my Ritek GO4 4X-R will burn up to 4X.

Does any one know other 4X or 8X media +/- that the NEC3520 will burn at a faster speed???

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

taiyo yuden's 8x +r's will burn up 16x along with fuji films +r's 8x made in japan . burning them at higher speeds will increase the chance of errors on the disc though .

5. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

thanks. When I burned my first movie with my new burner I forgot that the settings were at "max" which was 4X for my Pioneer 106. But this puppy burned at 16X. Believe it or not the movie played fine.
    Right now I have been burning at 8X and haven't had any problems with skipping, freezing, pixelation etc.

Just want to know the media that will keep all options open for me.

6. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

All you people should give the L.G. 4163B a chance. It outperforms the NEC in every catagory. It also burns good media at higher speeds than they are rated and at NewEGG it is 49.00 with free shipping. The new firmware A104 will amke the picture quality look like 1:1 with over 50% compression. The Nec 3530A is good but if you don't flash it with Liggy and Dees hacked firmware in my opinion the L.G. 4163B is compatible with more media.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

LG's are one of the last makes I'd recommend. Those and Optorites have more problems than any other.

8. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Have had NEC 3520A burner for a couple of weeks. 8X DVD-R media from Verbatim (MCC), TDK (TTGO2), Fuji (FUJIFILM03), all have been perfect! No coasters or even a poor result at 8X with firmware updated to ver. 3.04

9. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Nephilim-
    Why so negative on the L.G. I have for awhile now and its burns 8x media at 12x with great quality and it also supports DVD-Ram, something that the others do not. Just interested in your opinion.

10. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

@ ALAND
    My experience: LG firmware updates and support have been poor. Dependability of their burners has been poor, and disk compatabililty has been erratic.
    In short, Plextor, NEC, BenQ, Pioneer, Lite-On, would all be better choices. Some of these are less expensive as well! If you count re-badged brands, LG would have a hard time making a top 10 list.

11. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

LG makes one of the lowest quality burners on the market . i dont see how a LG can even be compared with other high quality burners .

12. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

In all fairness, I own a Liteon 1673S, a Benq 1620Pro and the L.G. 4163B. In all tests on media and burn speed the L.G. has come out on top. It was the only one to recognize Yuden02 8x media at 12x with no change in the picture quality. I also had a finalization problem with the other writers (just + media ) that the L.G. solved. Granted I am running it in UltraDMA 66 mode but two off the other burners did not support. Yes, I have an Ultra ATA controller and the 40pin 80 conductor cables. I think L.G. has come a long was from there old burners with this new line. Again this is just my opinion, thanks for the input.

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ ALAND

I'm not keen on LGs because I've seen/helped too many folks having trouble with their LGs - poor media compatibility, short lifespan and ridiculous procedures for updating firmware.

You may have gotten a good one or its possible LG has improved of late but it'll take several generations of high quality drives for me to recommend them :)

14. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

@ ALAND
    My 3 year old NEC is still burning, as is my nearly two year old Pioneer. Have new NEC as well.
    Lifespan of LG burners is short; either partial or total premature death.

15. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

This could be very very true. I only have mine for about 50 burns or 3 months. But I have updated the firmware ( no big deal ) to A104 and its still going strong. I am going to replaces one of my other burners with the new NEC 3540A as soon as its available on NewEGG.Com. Until then. Thanks for the feedback.

16. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

@ ALAND:
    NEC 3520A at Newegg.com was $47.99 + $2.99 FedEx shipping. After firmware upgrade, it does everything 3540 will do. Prob not worth waiting for a burner likely to cost more than 20% more, or even higher.

17. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

I was told by the NEC tech( e-mailed them ) that the 3540A will be able to copy RW at 8x, and that the firmware for it will recognized more media.

18. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

According to the NEC3520 specs, it will write to 8X on +RW and 6X on -RW. Unfortuantely haven't been able locally to find anything over 4X RW where I live. I've only had my 3520 for a week now, but I am more than pleased for $48. Don't know anything personally about other burners so I won't try to add to the dialogue above.

19. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

With updated firmware that 3520 will burn to 16X +R DL and -R DL, as well as update media compatability. Price is rock bottom for an excellent burner. Not worth paying more for a slight increase in RW speed on newer model

20. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

What firmware are you refering to. Which Liggy & Dee firmware is the best fro NEC 3520A