1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointed with the VGA HD cables! help!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mufaa, Jan 27, 2007.

1. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

Just received my VGA HD Cables for my 360 system. I have a Samsung Syncmaster 940BW 19" Widescreen monitor (which is amazing btw) and i have to say i am terribly disappointed with the cables!!

The screen is blurry(the text mainly, not extremely blurry but its very noticeable), the colors are rash and just doesnt look sharp and amazing like the reviews said. I am sure there is a problem at my end and i am missing something. But i dont knw what it is!

My monitor's native resolution is 1440x960 (which the cables doesnt support) so i go to the next supported resolution 1360*768. Till the screen looks like crap. I thought it was my monitor so i tried it on a Benq 19" monitor whos native resolution is 1280*1024 and the screen still looks crap.

Please help me out here!! I so dont want to go back to playin on my HDTV cause i get very few hours of play time. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  2. MySelf69

MySelf69 Member

were did you buy the cables at? and i have the same exact monitor ( got it from sams last week for 225 bucks) and i got the VGA cables on ebay. it looks fine. loooks a little cloudy on the 360's dashboard, but when you play a game it looks amazing, and high def looking!

but ya. your cables may not be the best. or mybee you need to adjust ur LCDs settings...

3. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

I got the cables from eBay too:
    http://www.tiny.cc/MtDvi

Do you have the original cables? The ones i got are not original. And what settings do you use for your LCD, maybe that can help?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  4. MySelf69

MySelf69 Member

in thwe listing they look like the original ones.

Settings
    Brightness 70
    Contrast 78

or you can just put the magic bright (the 2nd button to the left) to games.. and that all i did.. it comes out realy clear.. not grainy at all.. like i said its a little smokey looking on the 360's dashboard.. but when i lpay a game its perfect!.. i got my cables from a guy that makes them http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZallnewitemQQhtZ-1

5. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

Hmm, i tried the Game profile. But the colors are not rich enough. They are rash, the blacks are little too whitish.

I dont mind the dashboard, it looks a little blurry but its fine. But i dont really like the colors.

Now i am just not sure if i buy the original cables, if it will work fine and as expected.

6. MySelf69

MySelf69 Member

have you tried reseting your settings in the menu?

7. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

set your screen resolution in the xbox dashboard

8. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

Yup i have tried that. Still not luck.

@JThomas05- As i had mentioned eariler, i tried the resolution of 1360x768...currently using 1280x768.

The colors are just not deep enough...arrrggggjhhh

9. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

sounds like a bootleg cable, im running 1280X1024 and its like heaven for me, then again im using the official microsoft cable

10. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

Guess then i have to buy the official cables....and i hate it when technology is expensive. Oh well.

But doesnt official cables have the 'washed out colors' issue?

Any solution would be greatly appreciated.

11. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

i dont have any color issues, unless its something that comes later, this is the perfect thing for a true gamer that cant afford a $800 tv

12. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

13. mrtoast2

mrtoast2 Member

It isnt the cable. It is the fact that the resolution does not match the monitor and your saturation points for colors is off. That monitor is known to have those problems, you need to tweak the saturation down to 10 on all colors. I had that monitor too and after I did that things looked much better. Most cable is so close that there is little difference in one from the other.

Try what I said and you can see a difference, also you should get a monitor that matches the 360 output resolution so you can stop the pixel pull that kills the image quality. Go for a monitor that will do 1360x768 or whatever it is exactly...

14. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

I read a year old thread on some forum and one guy suggested to use the 720p resolution. And i did and behold! The dashboard looks clear, a little cloudy but clear and sharp. I was happy until i fired up Lost Planet and saw the pixelation on the explosions (and pixelation on the front window of a car in Saints Row)! I have a gut feeling that my games run on SDTV rather than on HDTV resolution. The graphics far ahead in the game comes blurry and jaggy. And they seem to be shaking too...as it were liquid. I have played on SDTV and it looks similar to it.

And i am in no state to buy a new monitor. I just got this and its only a week old. I bought it specially for Xbox 360 otherwise i was more than happy on my 17".

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  15. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

I have this switch on my VGA cable...dunno whats it for. Doesnt change anything. And feels a bit flimsy too. Does the official cables or other branded cables have this?

http://maxupload.com/img/0466BC96.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  16. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

my cable doesnt, it looks like they took the original video cable and used the casing around the plug to make your cable

17. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

yea lol...this so wants me to go buy the official cable as the quality of my cable is pretty crappy and flimsy.

But i hear mixed opinions and my brain is confused.