1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc Hot To The Touch

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by nabster, Oct 5, 2004.

1. nabster

nabster Member

Hey, no idea if anybody else has had this problem or even if it’s been put in the forum already. Anyway here is the problem. I’m having a few discs come back on me. They are playing fine up until about 10 or 15min’s from the end of the movie where they start to jump. The discs are coming out of the standalone players very hot to the touch. To me this points to the ATAPI rather then the media. Be interesting to know what others think though. Look forward to the replies.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like an outer edge error on the media & the unit's laser is getting hot trying to overcome read errors ... hence also making the disc hot while in DVD Drive

That'd be my honest opinion ; )

3. nabster

nabster Member

Yeah could well be. Although its only in certain stand alones. They are fine in PC drives. The media in question is Ritek G04's.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Just by chance are there paper labels applied to theses hot discs? Labels in most cases are a NO NO. Only a few players can get away with playing labeled discs so the general rules is don't use them.

Jerry

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Taken care of ;)

6. nabster

nabster Member

Hey. yeah there are labels. I've been putting pabels on discs for ages now and only just come across this problem. I use the blank silver Riteks not the printable ones so its only one thin layer of paper. How do u get around it if you want a professional look to the disc without a label as I don't havea printer that can print on the printable discs?

7. colw

colw Active member

Labels will always eventually lead to problems - they may be OK for relatively short periods of time but enventually the glue will heat and the DVD become unbalanced leading to playback problems.

Type DVD lables in the search function at the top of this page and review members opinions re labling DVD's. There will be a small minority who claim they have had no problems but the larger majority will strongly advise against their use.

Your choice is largely between functionality and prettiness - I would go with functionality every time. If you want a pretty DVD get an appropriate printer.

8. nabster

nabster Member

Good point well made there colw. I think I'll order a printer today. I take it that there in no heating problems with the proper printable DVD-R's?

9. nabster

nabster Member

Have got a Epson R200 on the way, should solve all my problems.

10. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Never ever use labels .... the arguments can be found in many a thread [using search function] !!:c]