1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc problem - Bridge to Terabithia - pc won't now read it

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jasminec, Jun 28, 2007.

1. jasminec

jasminec Member

This may seem like a dumb question....especially since I have been back up dvd's for a year and a half now, but here it goes. I have Bridge to Terabithia. It plays fine on my tv in my regular dvd player. However, my burner won't even read it. Is it possible that there is a scratch and my burner is being "picky"? This has happened only a couple of other times before. Cleaning the disc worked with another and the second one I ended up giving up. Thanks guys.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It is very possible that there is now a small imperfection with your disk either scratched or dirty that your DVD ROM just will not overcome. What brand and model of DVD ROM do you have?

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

or maybe the DVD-ROM needs a lens cleaning after a year and a half of use. You can pick up a good drive cleaner at Office Depot, Office Max, and electronic stores like CircutCity, BestBuy, and of course CompUSA. If this is starting to happen more often this might be a possibility.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Another possibility is that there is a data file on the disc that is blocking--either intentionally or not--the software player from opening the disc. See if you can access the VOB files in Windows Explorer, open one up with Windows Media Player to key in the CSS codes to unlock the drive. Once the drive is unlocked, the decryption software may work. Lately Sony and Disney have been violating the DVD Forum specs to make it more difficult to rip movies unless one has the most recent versions of backup software.

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I never had a data file on a DVD-ROM block me from opening the DVD up in my drives...... but then again I always keep my programs up to date! Jasminec...... what programs are you using?

And I never had a DVD-ROM not be recognized by windows unless it was dirty or I had trouble with my drive!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  6. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

You have different playback software or have been lucky. A VOB file cannot be played by Cyberlink PowerDVD 5, for example, if it encrypted. Windows Media Player will play it, and that unlocks the drive. The drive has to be unlocked by some software program before particular backup software can even access the files. Other backup software incorporates the unlock feature.

This may not be jasminec's case, but it is a possibility.

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I have Cyberlink PowerDVD v7.3 and my version of BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA works just fine using PowerDVD without anything to break any encryptions. I don't know about v5.

8. jasminec

jasminec Member

Thanks everyone. I know it isn't a dirty lense. I have cleaned the drive numerous times over the entire time I have owned this computer. I am also unable to open the disc with windows explorer. I think it may be the disc.

I have only used powerdvd with decrypted vob files.

I did try to play it with windows media player but the drive wouldn't even read it. I could hear it trying but I think it was finding an error/fault in the disc and couldn't continue....sounded kinda like it was in a loop.

Thanks again and sorry it took forever for me to reply.