1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc Read Error : General Question about fixing

Discussion in 'PS2' started by JRoland, Dec 31, 2004.

1. JRoland

JRoland Member

Hello,

I recently got a broken PS2 from eBay for a fairly cheap price. I was under the impression, after doing a decent amount of research, that DRE's are generally caused by faulty lasers.

Anyway, aside from the whole voltage/calibration methods, would it be safe to assume that if I bought a new laser, my DRE would go away and I wouldn't even have to worry about tinkering with the other stuff?

Thanks!

2. Ag3ntNe0

Ag3ntNe0 Guest

Buying and replacing a new eye is WAY more tinkering than repairing the ps2 yourself. All you need is some rubbing alchohol a few q-tips, some screwdrivers, and a felt tip pen. It is much easier than replacing the eye. Takes only 20 mins.

3. Ag3ntNe0

Ag3ntNe0 Guest

4. lucifer69

lucifer69 Regular member

5. JRoland

JRoland Member

Hey,

Thanks for all the info so far!

However, I am only thinking about purchasing a new laser because my opened Disc Tray does not resemble most that are shown in other tutorials. Specifically, the one in the link lucifer69 provided shows one white COG to adjust. My PS2 is different. It has two white COGs. I don't know if mine has already been tinkered with or if it's just different.

Anyway, as far as replacing the laser, I was looking at the following:
    http://www.richspsxparts.com/psx2.html

I believe I am the $50 laser assembly. If so, is it safe to say that I could purchase just that, replace mine, and boot up?

Thanks again!

6. JRoland

JRoland Member

Sorry to "bump."

But, anymore thoughts on fixing the DRE?

Thanks!