1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

disc-shield at blockbuster

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by nachoguy, Feb 5, 2005.

1. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

i've been renting movies from blockbuster, and ive noticed lately they are starting to put "disc-shield" on the movies. it looks like a protective plastic coating with blockbuster logos and the words disc-shield on it. this is the 3rd or 4th disc ive seen with it. but i have examined this disc thouroughly and i cant see or feel any coating on the data side of the disc, and on the non data side is a very clumsisly attached plastic disc-shield, the edges are bubbles a bit, the center is bubbled a bit and slightly off center, its got small tears, and is very noticeable. i cannot understand why they would not shield the data side, and at the same time why the hell they would ever sheild the non data side.

i just rented red dawn, and its a double sided dvd. one side is widescreen, the other is normal size. blockbuster put a disc shield sticker with logos on the widescreen side of the disc, making it unreadable. so now i have to watch in full screen mode because they have a sticker over the widescreen side. can anyone make any sense of this at all?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

They protect the top side because thats where the data actually is. If you scratch the top label side bad enough it will damage the data. The bottom read side is actually protected by the clear plastic the disc is made of. Here again if the bottom is damaged bad enough you get read errors. I think it was stupid of Blockbuster to put that protector on a double sided dvd.

Jerry

3. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

What? ive never seen a cd or dvd ever go bad with scratches or damage to the label side, with the exception of ones that go all the way through the label side and damage the data on the other side. but if you are making holes in your cds/dvds a plastic label isnt going to help.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

What I'm trying to say is the data is closer to the top than the bottom.

Jerry

5. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

yes but the top layer is much more protective and also scratches to the top layer will not affect the disc unless they deep enough and bad enough to actually tear through the top layer and damage the data itself...at which point you have a major gouge in your cd/dvd or a hole. small and minor scratches to the reading side will fusk the disc up quite nicely however.

6. TaylorSPL

TaylorSPL Guest

They shouldn't be putting disc shields on any of their new movies they stopped doing that a few months ago here in order to try to get more people to purchase their previously viewed movies. They used to do it for the security system, not to protect the top side of the disc.

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Jerry already told you, the reading side is read through the clear plastic and is a reflective layer beneath the label.
    Sounds like you got a dopey Blockbuster, though...
    Yeesh ;-)

8. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

why, so people wouldnt swap discs or something? like rent red dawn and swap the blockbuster disc with their own damaged dvd?

9. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

yes i understand the structure of dvds, the point is scratches on the label never affect the data underneath. problem isnt the data itself getting ruined, its the clear plastic layer it reads through becomes unreadable. a clear plastic coating over that would absorb all the scratches, then when its unreadable the sticker could be removed and a new one put in its place. the only way you are going to damage a dvd by the label side layer it to gouge through to the actual data region in which case a flimsy ass blockbuster sticker will offer no protection.

10. TaylorSPL

TaylorSPL Guest

It's not so you don't swap them its so you don't steal them. They are for the sensor system near the doors. At least thats what I think they're for, I'll ask my friend who works at a BB later.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2005
  11. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

i dont see how thats possible.

12. TaylorSPL

TaylorSPL Guest

See the two metal strips on the disc-shield? I don't know how the sensor-matic systems they use work so I can't explain it to you. I just know they were supposed to stop using them everywhere because people weren't buying their previously viewed stuff because of the disc shields.

13. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

hmmm...i guess that makes sense. a hell of a lot more sense than protecting the condition of the disc. seems like you would easily be able to bypass that feature anyway if you really wanted to steal from block buster.

they certainly need a better system though, used sales aside. i have the red dawn dvd here with a completely useless widescreen side. fusking retarded.

14. TaylorSPL

TaylorSPL Guest

That's just stupid. I don't think they were EVER supposed to put those on double sided discs. I went and rented some movies and saw my friend she said that they were just for the sensor-matic systems and 1/2 the BB's don't even use that system anymore.

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ nachoguy

Let's clean up the language a bit shall we?

16. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

can do. its still retarded to put a disc shield on a double sided dvd though.