1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc Tray won't close, opens on shutdown...how do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by BDawgPHD, Jan 12, 2008.

1. BDawgPHD

BDawgPHD Guest

A while ago my xbox 360 started making funny noises and occasionally wouldn't load games, so I began to dismantle it, stopping at the final piece of plastic, since I didn't have Torx screwdrivers. Since then, I had tried to use the 360 with the same amount of success, and then stopped. Not too much later I tried to fire up the 360, only to find that the disk tray now opens by itself.

The tray opens upon startup, even when using the power button. Pressing the button to close it closes it, and then it opens. Pushing it closed does the same thing. Shutting it off causes it to close, open, and then power down. Forcing it closed will keep it closed, but it won't read disks.

I've seen this problem on youtube before, and it's happened to my CD player a long time ago. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

2. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Something is probably blocking the tray mechanism inside, or the tray needs to be removed from the drive, and re-inserted properly aligned with the drive gear, etc, then it might work, otherwise it could be a fault with the drives main board, which means you need to replace the drive.

3. BDawgPHD

BDawgPHD Guest

I fixed it by running the 360 open, with the cover off the drive. There was probably something obstructing it, but I never would have guessed, since it started doing it before I had opened it that far, and since I had opened and closed the DVD drive several times already.

Thanks for your help :) but now I need to address the original problem...

The drive is making weird noises, almost like scratching noises, but it's not scratching up the disk. I suspect it is the laser and the track it is on. Is there a specific cause of this noise, and how do I go about fixing it?

4. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

The scratching problem is the disk slipping on the spindle, theres 2 possible causes, when you open the dvd drives cover, the rotor spindle that the disk sits on, has a silver magnet in the middle, this sometimes breaks off, and sticks to the grip on the lid of the drive, you need to glue that back into place, have a look at this video, should help you understand what your looking for:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEGKDGPj1iw#
    Another possible problem is that the spindle grip, which is the white circular disk sort of thing sticking out of the drives lid, is not getting good grip on the disk, if thats the problem, you can either spray it with a few coats of spray paint laquer to thicken it and add thickness, which is what i did to my brothers 360 that had the same problem, or you can just put some insulation tape on it to make it thicking, however insulation tape will probably end up coming off after some time.