1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc troubles

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by SadJoker, Mar 28, 2003.

1. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

I bought a 200 pack of Philips CDR80 40x max discs not too long ago from Staples but over the last couple of months several dozen of the disc's seem to be developing skips and pits on the very outter edge. can see clear thru to the other side of the disc thus the CD skips to no end.. Ive managed to juryrig correct the problem by coloring over the pitted spot with a permant black marker but Im curious as to WTF is going on with the discs?

Disc info :

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
    Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

CD RW drive is a an LG 12x8x32. to be specific LG CDRW CED 8120B with newest firmware 2.00. Usually burn using Nero or Blindwrite @ 10x or 8x since neither seem to like burning at 12x. In either case the result is the same.

2. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Those discs were made by CMC who are well known for their poor quality discs.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2003
  3. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Ahh that would explain why the discs are literally disengrating.. ah well as long as My jurrigged fill-in-the-pit-with-marker method werks I can listen to those CDs.. Any suggestions for a better CDR? I pretty much only burn audio cds anyway..

4. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2003