1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc Unreadable on burned 360 games - any help?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Goku185, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Goku185

Goku185 Member

Ive Burned a few 360 games (using the guides found on this site, which were all helpful) - but the only problem i am having is that the discs give me an "unreadable error".

The 360 console has been modded with extreme firmware (not exactly sure which version though) and its an hitachi drive.

ive used AONE DVD+R DL Disc for 1 game and Verbatim DVD+R DL Disc for another game, both burned using IMGBurn with latest programs and drivers, games were burned on a DELL Laptop booktype can't be set however it says "DVD-ROM" when i insert the disc back into the laptop.

both games take a few seconds to load and both come up with the "disc is unreadable, please clean the disc" error (even though the discs are spotless).

However on the verbatim disc it did install an update for the game, than afterwards came up "disc is unreadable", so im obviously doing something right (somewhere?) any thoughts would be great!

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. slimdawg

slimdawg Regular member

The first one seems like its the disk.

The Verbatim that did the upload sounds like you messed up somewhere either in ripping or burning the original game.

4. MD2000GT

MD2000GT Guest

How are you making the back ups? Downloading or ripping? If your ripping are you using the samsung drive with kreon firmware or are you using the hotswap method with wxripper?

5. Goku185

Goku185 Member

games downloaded from a dedicated xbox torrent site (even though one of them i ended up buying the original game LOL) all 3 games came with .dvd files (and were under 50bytes), layer break was set at the correct rate, burn settings at 2x - 2.4x, verified settings off.

burned all 3 games using different programs (clonecd and imgburn) and using verbatim discs (apart from the a few aone discs).

do have to mention that after "ejecting and re-inserting" the disc in the xbox 360 , the 360 read it as a audio cd? (only once).

trying to get hold of one of my friends 360 games (copys) to see if it works.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

it really should be a simple process:

1. open newest version of IMGburn
    2. go to mode and select “write”
    3. now browse for and select the .DVD file you just made (or aquired)
    4. Select your burning speed (i like 4X), and booktype the media to DVD-Rom if your burner can booktype hopefully it can because booktyping rteally helps with compatibility)
    5. hit start and burn it.

That is really all there should be to it. Also are you stealth checking these ISO files before you try to burn them? The newer firmware will not play them if they are not stealth.

7. Goku185

Goku185 Member

Yep tried that - still not working =( (my laptops dvd drive cant be booktyped, but the output says DVD-ROM and i burn the games at 2 - 2.4x speed, since maxium is 4x). but they are only things that are different.

8. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

i am having the same problem now.

9. BoxyBrown

BoxyBrown Member

It sounds like your firmware is the issue to me. Do you have the latest firmware? Have you tried a disc that was burned on a different burner? Did you use the xdvdmulleter program to make sure your games had all the security and stealth files inserted? If you have the latest firmware, the game must have all the security and stealth files inserted or it will not run. Truthfully, there could be so many different things causing your issues that you will have to do some sniffing and tell us what comes up.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  10. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

I am not sure if I would say that the firmware is causing the problems... quite yet. You have no way of finding out what version you are using?

Also, stick to only using verbatims. The cheaper media will either result in bad burns or if it does work, it will strain your laser.

Also, is there anyone else that has a flashed console that you can test the games on to see if they work?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  11. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

yes my previous xbox 360 played every single backups fine. just this new xbox 360 i traded is givng me this problem. i really dont think it's the disc or the media because i used the verbatim. i really think it's the lazer because it makes grinding sounds and the lazer is proabbly dirty.

12. 3thereal

3thereal Member

Johncc and Goku185 I'm having the same exact problem with a friend of mine's xbox. He had one of the original 360's released, with the old hitachi 47 drive. We successfully flashed it with xtreme 1.4 firmware, but we have the same problem that is being described here (a funky grinding sound when trying to read the discs, and it ends up just saying 'unreadable disc'). I have a newer xbox with the BenQ drive flashed with the xtreme 1.4 as well, they're both set to 12x read speeds, all of my discs have been burnt on verbatim at 2x, and they all played perfectly fine on my xbox. Do hitachi drives have a better success rate with a different blank dvd media? I've always had awesome luck with verbatim.

13. 3thereal

3thereal Member

I do want to add that we also tried flashing it with slower read speeds and that did not help at all.

14. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

did the problem happened after u flashed your xbox 360 with extreme 1.40 or it was like that also before?

i am kinda confused if the dvd drive is probably old or wore out. or the problem is caused due to extreme 1.40 modding.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  15. 3thereal

3thereal Member

Not sure if you were talking to me? If so, then no, this is the first time we flashed his xbox, so there was no previous experience to base it off of.

16. CopperKid

CopperKid Regular member

I'm not sure if this will help but I've worked on a couple of dvd drives where the owner used a butter knife to pry the drive tray open.

On one the rubber cable came off and disk tray got off track. It was making the loud grinding noise and not reading games. The fix was putting the tray back on track and reconnecting the rubber cable.

On the second I noticed that the laser assembly wasn't going all the way up when you used the eject button or open/close tray option through the dashboard. This one had two of the teeth broken off of the bottom gear assembly and wasn't able to get the laser up where it needed to be one the tray closed. The cheap fix which is what the owner requested was that the tray be manually closed with enough momentum to make the laser assembly pop up where it needed to be.

I don't know if that helps anyone out or not but hopefully most people on here are not using silverware on their 360's

17. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

so the xbox he got was second handed and he modded it after he bought it?

18. 3thereal

3thereal Member

Hahah no we did not use silverware. I think these problems would be the case if our drive didn't read ANY games, but it does still read retail xbox360 discs with no problem.

19. CopperKid

CopperKid Regular member

D'oh! I missed that they still played retail games! <- Fail

20. 3thereal

3thereal Member

I'm not sure what you're asking or why it matters. Like I said, he bought his xbox retail when the 360's first came out - years ago. We just tried modding it yesterday because he's been deployed for 3 years.

21. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

i want to know if the problem persist even before he modded his xbox 360. because u said that his xbox 360 makes the grinding sound after u modded his xbox 360 with extreme 1.40. i just wnt to know if after u modded, thats when the probelm occurred.