1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

disc wont spin...new slimline SELF-RESOLVED

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kronik42o, Jan 31, 2007.

1. kronik42o

kronik42o Guest

hey, i bought a slimline ps2 recently and swap magic/xcm tool kit and it worked everytime for about a 3 weeks...a game i've been playing all along suddenly froze while the memory card was saving so it corrupted a save file...i restarted and played again and it froze during a loading screen and now the system wont spin discs anymore when i turn it on. is this a known problem? did something burn out? i've never even played it longer than 3 hours at a time. i can still return it but i'd rather get my money back if this is just going to happen again before my in-store return time is up. anyone know what could have caused this? i actually played the system with the cover open and the light on in the room, could that wear out the laser (extra light)? i've also read somewhere that it's possible the sensor which the metal tool in magic switch/xcm/others touches is fragile and can be easily broken if not seated correctly...which i had a problem with...can this sensor cause the disc to not spin? and for a new ps2 does anyone know if the older plastic tool can be used in the newest model by bending the metal flap over? any help would be greatly appreciated.

for anyone who wants to see the tools i have here is a picture: http://www.thegiantstore.com/browseproducts/Replacement-PSTwo-XCM-Slim-Tool-V3-Pro.html

by the way i used Ritek R03 discs every time on the system and it's only a month old and in nero cdspeed the burns appear to be good quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2007
  2. kronik42o

kronik42o Guest

OK...so i picked up the system before i packed it in the box and shook it to listen for the broken sensor...i heard something rattling around so i rotated the system until it fell out. it's a very small black piece with mini trigger which is mostly likely that sensor. lol (wow that's a small sensor for you to hit)..anyways my only question that remains is the older style sensor blocker from magic switch/xcm slim kit pro/magic keys which is plastic. can the metal hinge-plate from the ps2 door be bent over and this plastic tool used instead of the metal odd shaped tool from the kit? is the sensor in the same place for all slim models? i have the 77001b model which is fairly new. so the metal plate which i would bend is slanted.

3. kronik42o

kronik42o Guest

hey all, i got a new ps2...bent the metal hinge plate and used the older style sensor blocker and it worked. MUCH SAFER THAN THE METAL TOOL!!! for those of you who are planning to get the xcm slim tool/magic switch/magic keys...i do not recommend the metal tool at all due to the sensor being so fragile. mine obviously broke when i closed the lid yesterday as the tool was not sitting correctly for some reason (possibly out of shape from trying to install in that micro hole which only goes in from 1 angle). bending the small plate isn't very hard (i used a small flat head screwdriver, just be careful not to slip and hit your laser) and the plastic tool slides into place with ease and is actually hidden better than the metal tool. hope this helps anyone interested in this information.

note: the first slim i had 77001b has the slanted metal hinge plate. the hole is very small and the metal tool barely goes in. if you do use the metal tool, bend the metal hinge plate slightly so the hole is larger. you will most likely bend the tool if you try to jam it in. the second slim i have now is a 77001a and has the flat metal hinge plate...it also appears there is more room for the metal tool to slide in. so good luck on your mod :)

another odd thing is it seems this (a) version runs games smoother than the (b) version i had.

4. freebeer0

freebeer0 Member

That sucks man

5. freebeer0

freebeer0 Member

That sucks man

6. kronik42o

kronik42o Guest

yeah totally...but it all worked out thanks to searching for a couple hours on here and google and of course walmarts 90 day return policy lol. i actually still have the sensor here. if more people who modded this way looked at it they'd probably change their mind about that metal tool and use the older plastic one instead.