1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISCS OR HARDRIVES FOR STORAGE

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DUBBZ, Apr 3, 2005.

1. DUBBZ

DUBBZ Member

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but i am a newbie and i am allowed to be stupid by law, so here it is. Is it better to store tons of data such as mp3's and mpegs etc. on discs or back up harddrives. I got hundreds of data discs that i have to use on occasion and i find that some discs dont read anymore or appear to be scratched or some redundancy error. I take care of all my discs but i am losing files b-cuz of these disc errors. I know it is cheaper to backup your files on disc, but is it better in the long run due to scratches and errors, time etc. ? I have lost some important files that I thought was safely on a disc and i need some advice. Thanx in advance.

2. vipera

vipera Member

Well, unless you regularly back up your hard drives and/or you use RAID system, you run the risk of losing everything at once by storing it on a hard drive. The best option is to use high quality media, make 2 copies of everything you burn, and store one in a dark, dry location.

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If you backup your data on good media, and the discs were burned correctly, you should not have any read failures for 30 or 40 years. BTW, the message "burned successfully" means squat - you have to check readibility or run PI/PO test with Nero or Plextools or kprobe. If you are so concerned about the integrity of your backups, then perform a PI/PO test on each disc you care about. If the errors are relatively low, you should not be concerned about losing your data or the readability of it years from now. Even though multiple copies of everything is the way to go, I think making 2 copies doesn't help because if one copy was backed up on bad media or was backed up incorrectly, it's likely the second copy will be too. I am curious what media you used that resulted in CRC errors. BTW, if money is not a problem, just buy an external USB hard disk drive and keep all your important files on it. I saw an Iomega external 80GB hard drive on sale for $80 after rebate recently.
    Note: Above excludes carelessness in storage or handling of media. Hard drives don't react too well with physical shock or extreme heat either.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  4. DUBBZ

DUBBZ Member

where do you find the pi/po option on nero. Also in nero, does checking the verify disc option really make a difference?

5. kchev

kchev Regular member

nero cd/dvd speed
    it is in your list of nero programs in nero toolkit

you also must have a burner capable of reporting pi/po errors

6. DUBBZ

DUBBZ Member

thanx for the answers. This might be a stupid question but is there anyway to pull data off an apparent damaged disc?

also , let's say you have over 500 gigs of data to back up, would you honestly put all that data on blank dvd's and use double the discs for important files. How would you store them ? Cake boxes or some other way. Please help. I have to decide by friday on how to backup these files the right way.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Do it on a removable hard drive(s) or tape backup; otherwise, you'll spend a whole week just doing backups. If you back them up on DVDs, they would have to be rewritables unless you never plan to update the files ever again.