1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discs won't burn at 8x speed!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Eliblue, May 17, 2004.

1. Eliblue

Eliblue Member

I've got a TEAC DV-W58E(8X DVD+R/4X +RW)that SHOULD burn 8X DVD+Rs at an 8X speed but it only burns them at a 4X speed. I've checked the manufacturer website for any new firmware upgrades and there currently are no firmware updates for this model and the technical support rep indicated that this drive should burn 8X blank +R dvds at an 8X speed. He recommended that I purchase Memorex 8X DVD+R media. I purchased Memorex and the drive still only burns at 4X.

I'm using DeCrypter for all my burning- could that be the problem? Is it possible the drive would burn at 8X speeds if I used Nero?

I'm open to any and all suggestions on this matter.

Thanks!!

P.S. Sorry about initially posting this question in the wrong forum.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

This happens me all the time and I've come to accept it, like if i get DVD-R 4x it often will only burn at 2x. My burner is 8X for DVD+R and 4X for DVD-R. (Of course the fact that it is 4x for DVD-R was hidden in small writing on the box! lol)

3. Eliblue

Eliblue Member

Thanks for the response Dela!!!!!

So, is it unrealistic for me to expect my burner(that indicates that it burns DVD+R at 8X speed) to actually burn blank 8X +R discs at 8X speed?

I think that I'm going to contact Dell and resquest that they either reimburse me some money(since it looks like I purchased a 4x drive) or replace my drive with a new one that functions as advertised.

Peace!!!!

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't say it's unrealistic. I get 8X burns with my PX-708A using any 4X +R that ID's as RICOHJPN01.

There have been some other folks here having media compatibility issues with the Teac DV-W58E that came with their Dells and I'd also be suspect of the Memorex media. What is the manufacturer ID on them? You can use this free tool to find out:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

5. Dela

I actually have only ever got 1 8X DVD+R that i have managed to burn at 8X! lol

6. Eliblue

Eliblue Member

This the strangest thing. I've updated my TEAC drive with new firmware and now it does the following:

1. I'm now able to burn 4X blank dvds at 8X speed.

2. The 8X blank discs(that I specifically bought for 8X burning) will only burn at 4X speed.

Well, at least in the future I can save money by buying only 4X discs which are consistently burning at 8x on my burner.

I'll just have to write the more expensive 8X discs that I bought off as a loss now that I know I won't need to buy anymore of these in the future.

Thanks!!!!!

7. Dela

I actually wouldnt recommend burning a DVD at 8X if its made for 4X, could get nasty!