1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion: Value added in SVCD on DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by DeeTent, Jul 12, 2002.

1. DeeTent

DeeTent Guest

I'm wondering why more attention is not paid to combining the quality and compression of SVCD with the 4.7 GB space on DVD-Rs.

I realize also that you cannot mix and match formats: selected articles (i.e., http://www.vcdhelp.com/svcddvdr.htm) and comments by afterdawn's admin) make me think that it is possible.

The main advantage that I can see is simply high picture quality with high storage capacity. (Sure, not as high as true DVD but still enough to get a four hour movie on a single DVD-R).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2002
  2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you, but when I downloaded the CD image on vcdhelp it only played on my very latest DVD player. All the older machines played them in less than satisfatory ways. I guess this compatibility issue is preventing them from becoming more popular.

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I would recommend for people who don't have DVD-Rs yet, but do SVCDs now, to go for CVD standard -- otherwise as SVCD, but width resolution of 352 (height 480 or 576 as usual). This half-D1 resolution should work on CDs and it is a native DVD format, so transferring your CVD clips to DVD-R later when you purchase writer, is just matter of changing the audio to 48kHz.