1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk Appears Empty

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by esorkered, Jan 16, 2007.

1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Maybe someone else can help more than me. I was trying to help isolate either the hardware or the software. That's why I had you trying a CD recording and trying to see if an RW would work. The same symptoms your drice is showing could be hardware or software and it's hard to diagnose without some hands on, at least for me anyway.

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

well damn PacMan777 aren't you Tech Support and can fix anything LMAO!!!

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL How'd you know? If he wants to ship it to me I can put it on the bench and get it fixed with little difficulty. It's cyberspace troubleshooting that's tricky. My prices are high and it might be cheaper to buy another laptop though. ;)

4. esorkered

esorkered Member

Got an update that might help the troubleshooting process. I opened my dvd decryptor program accidently, but noticed that it recognized the dvd+rw that i burned my video file on. I then opened the disk in windows media player and it worked fine. I then tried it in my dvd player, which i hadnt done before and it turns out that the disk plays fine. But when I put it back into my computer, it failed to recognize it. But the disk definitly plays fine, but none of the DVD+Rs will play. Does this mean the problem is definitly in the finalization of the disk?

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

your PC drive probably isn't compatible with DVD-RW DVDs

when you say none of the DVD+Rs will play does that mean in your standalone dvd player? PC? or what

DVD+R aren't compatible with alot of dvd players you will need to booktype them to DVD-ROM or use the DVD-Rs

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

esorkered
    That sounds exactly like what happened with a DVD drive I own. It was due to the finalization of the DVDs. DVD R has to be finalized unless you have software that allows for "session" work. The DVD RW doesn't, which is why I wanted you to try that format. I had to replace the drive to resolve the problem. The OS wouldn't recognize the DVD content, but player software would open video and play on the drives.

I couldn't figure it out and neither could the manufacturer support group. Some real techs went over the problem and not just the phone guys. They seemed to believe the PROM chip on the drive had become damaged and the firmware wasn't reading properly. I'd tried updating the firmware, but that didn't help in my case. Well, it's cheaper to buy a DVD drive than to mess with one much. They're throw away nowadays unless you have something like a $150 PLex. The strange part was I set the drive on the workbench instead of throwing it away. One day I had some time to kill so I hooked it up for further testing. I have no idea what happened during its rest, but the drive started working again. So, I never knew what happened. Whatever the problem was, it was isolated to the drive because the replacement cured the problem. The drive is in a PC and still working. It's an older model, but still good for burning DVD video.

Finalizing is accomplished by the drive when finishing the burn, and yours doesn't appear to be getting it done. Everyone I talked to came to the same conclusion, "bad" drive. Unless you're lucky and find a solution to the finalizing problem, then you may have to replace the drive. Don't take my word for it though and look around some more. It's my opinion without having seen the media or your PC and I could easily be wrong. At least you know what you're dealing with now. If someone can't help you figure it out, you may want to visit a PC technician for a checkout in the shop. When/if you find something on the problem, give me a PM. I'm curious about what happened to mine.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007