1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mikeua68, Nov 22, 2004.

1. mikeua68

mikeua68 Member

Ok I have 2 computers, one of them has a 50gig hd with 2 partitions. I was trying to reformat it without combining the partitions and that would not work. I had already cleaned it off somewhat just formatting the drives (c and d) in dos, but it didnt format completely it still opened up to a windows splash screen but wouldnt actually show any icons or the taskbar or anything so I was at a standstill on what I could do. I took that hd out and installed it as a slave on my other computer. I formatted and deleted the partitions and created one partition. Installed xp on that drive (so I thought) and took the hd off my main computer and stuck it back in the other computer. Now when I boot it up it says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER! I think maybe it has the os on it but the boot files are on the main computers c drive or something. I dont know what to do and when I try having it boot off the cd rom to install xp on it again I get the same message. If I make a startup floppy disk on the main computer and have the secondary computer boot from that floppy it goes to an a: prompt but I really don't know what I need to do after that. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is the hd set as active in fdisk

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

That sounds about right. why didn't you put it in the other computer and install xp from there?

4. mikeua68

mikeua68 Member

You know what... I went home on my lunch break to work on it, and thought it might have something to do with the cd rom... so I used a different xp pro cd and it worked just fine. I have used that old xp pro cd with the same key for like 8 computers and have had many issues (me thinking I have no idea what I'm doing) and now I realize that most of my problems were because of that damn cd. It is working fine now with the new xp pro cd. Thanks for your time and help! Oh and ddp there is no fdisk in in xp. Its a little tough to get installed too unless you have access to your cd rom drive.