1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIsk Boot Failure Insert System Disk Errors

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by swy00, Nov 16, 2004.

1. swy00

swy00 Member

Hi all, ive been working with my other comp for a while trying to fix this error and thought id post it here for help.

[bold]My startup looks something like this:[/bold]

Primary Master: WDC WD136AA 82.10A82
    Primary Slave:
    Secondary Master: CD-ROM DRive: 252 3.18
    Secondary Slave: CD-W548E 1.05

then screen switches and writes

Verifying DMI Pool Data...
    Boot From CD:
    Boot From CD:
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

This is basically it.
    My boot sequence is set to HD-0, then CD-ROM, and finally floppy disk....
    This happened because of the following reason. At first i had two harddrives installed, but i decided to move the other harddrive to my new computer (an 80g WD harddrive). My old harddrive (the 13g HD) has windows xp on it, while the one i removed had linux. Once i removed the other harddrive the computer would fail to restart. Im afraid something having to do with boot might have been lost with the other harddrive(cause when i attach the other harddrive(the 80g), the computer starts of just fine!). So i formatted the first HDdrive and reinstalled XP but i still get the same msg....
    any clues????

thnx for help..
    Sam

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you format & reinstall xp on 13 gig hd by itself or with 80 gig. also what jumper setting on 13 gig: master, slave or cable select & what make is 13 gig

3. swy00

swy00 Member

Yes, i did format the 13gb hardrive and installed XP on it again.
    [bold]Note: i did this by re-attaching the 2nd hardrive(80gb), formatting the 1st harddrive, installing xp, then removing the 2nd hardrive again to c if the computer will work, but it didnt[/bold]

So now i have a fresh XP Pro on the 13gb harddrive but the computer wont start up without the 2nd harddrive.
    The 13gb has jumper set to master. The 2nd hardrive was previously set to slave.
    [bold]Note:i know that CS is cable select, but what does it mean btw?[/bold]

the 13gb hardrive is western digital.
    [bold]Note:the startup screen that is saying detecting IDE hard drives take about 60sec of loading and then the primary and other drives take about 2 minutes...its not until 3 minutes till i get Verifying DMI Pool Data... so u can imagine the load time :S[/bold]

Thnx again

4. ddp

if 13gig is by itself on cable remove master jumper, it is the way wd are, one of main reasons don't like wd. when 80 gig online was it master or slave & also did you make 13gig active

5. swy00

swy00 Member

thnx alot ddp... removing the jumper worked... ive been working with this for the past 3 days... i didnt even have to format it:S....
    i feel stupid....

tke cre..thnx alot again....

Sam

6. ddp

live & learn, teach & learn