1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk is Dirty Error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by LuvMovies, Feb 20, 2007.

1. LuvMovies

LuvMovies Member

Lately we have been successfully completing the capturing and burning process on DVDs but when attempting to play them, we get a "Disk is Dirty" error message on the DVD player. I've been running AnyDVD and using DVDShrink. I've always tried other programs like Decrypter and RipIt4Me. I burn with Nero.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for issues? Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Is that on a stand alone player?

Dirty Disc:

This is an error code on some stand alone players.If the disc is clean,unscratched,unblemished-then it's usually a format issue. It's having a hard time recognizing your backups. It's also known as:
    No disc
    Wrong region
    Wrong format
    Illegal disc.

Depending on what players you have,each will use any of those messages when a major problem with reading a backup. Try switching to the opposite format.

If possible,booktype them-depending on what model of burner you have. Booktyped backups will have the highest compatability rate for all dvd drives-stand alone players,game consoles,and pc dvd drives.By booktyping,you're setting the plus format media to dvd-rom.Dvd-rom is the most universal of all dvd formats. It's not really a dvd-rom,but dvd drives think they are dvd-roms,therefore making it easier to read/play.

What's the brand name and model # of your burner?

Post that burner info back and maybe your drive has booktyping capability.

Other culprits can be media quality. Stand alone players can have a hard time reading crap media. Stick with verbatim or Taiyo Yuden,and find the correct format that suits all your drives.

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Of course we're dealing with DVDs that are clean with a polished surface. There are more possibilities. Depending on age and environment, the head could be getting dirty and need cleaning. There are cleaner disks available in most variety stores like Wal Mart or Target. It's also a possibility the optical head could be going bad.

If still using the same media that worked before and there is now a problem, it is unlikely a media problem. Just because it's the same brand doesn't mean same manufacturer. To determine that you can look up the manufacturer with Nero or use the free DVD Identifier.

Let's hope a media change, booktyping, and or head cleaning will help.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  4. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

I read somewhere that you can fix a scratch on a DVD by spreading peanut butter on the surface and use a coffee filter to wipe it dry. Supposedly it fills in the scratch and fixes the problem.

Has anyone tried this???

5. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

thought i had heard them all.........peanut butter.??

never heard that one before.............

6. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

I guess there's some kind of ingredient that seals the crack or scratch. Maybe it's the oil.

7. Shardel

Shardel Guest

I would be really skeptical about using peanut butter. It has a
    lot of oil in it. It could possibly really mess up your machine
    by getting it so dirty you could never get it clean.

8. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Spray a little Pledge furniture polish onto the scratched CD/DVD, then gently wipe it all off with a soft micropore cloth (the kind used for eyeglasses) from the center outward. Just like on furniture, the clear wax should fill in the scratches and make the CD playable.

Another good way to remove scratches from CDs/DVDs is to use an automotive rubbing compound. For lightly scratched discs No7's "White Polishing Compound" works well. For deeper scratches try a two-part process using Turtle Wax "Rubbing Compound" to buff out the deep marks, followed by Turtle Wax "Polishing Compound" to remove your buff marks and restore transparency.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It's all about light refraction and diffraction. The laser from the optical head has to pass through the polycarbonate layer of the DVD to read the peaks and valleys on the dye surface. Those nasty little scratches discolor the surface and make it difficult for the light to pass through. Polishing removes the loose material in the scratch and makes the polycarbonate clearer for the laser to pass through. Peanut butter is a nasty affair, but the oil and polishing with the filter paper might clean out the scrathes. Cleaning off the peanut butter might be a pain in the bejeebers though. LOL The polishing with Pledge and the microfiber cloth is working to achieve the same end, clean and polish the scratch(s) so light can more readily pass through without the beam being spread in all directions by the scratched area. That's why I use a resurfacing tool to clean up scratched discs. It won't always get rid of all the scratchs, but it most often cleans and buffs the surface so the laser can read through the polycarbonate layer of the disc. As I mentioned, it's all about getting the laser light through the outer disc layer without it getting bent all over the place.

Here's the updated version of what I use.
    [​IMG]
    It's a SkipDr. There's other brands, I just know this one works. There's a miracle resurfacing fluid involved, H2O.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007