1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jpc00, Oct 26, 2004.

1. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but this is my first post and I'm a little nervous. My question is this... I see a lot of posts regarding problems with back-ups being related to the quality of the media. I always see the "ritek" name thrown around on this site, but I have never seen this brand sold at any store I have been in. Are these disks manufactured by ritek and sold under another brand name, or do I just not live somewhere that carries them? Also, I have backed up close to 50 DVDs using TDK DVD-R 4X that I can buy on sale for 19.99 for 25 disks. They record a little slow, but they play on my Panasonic DVD players and my computer with no problems. My concern, and the reason for this post is, will these "inferior" disks wear out faster than the recommended "ritek" disks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Mort81 let me know about this deal. I bought mine here last time too, they usually have a good deal.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-344&depa=0
    You have to buy before the end of the month for the $10 rebate.
    Oh yea they are +R Ritek Ridata 4x, and they should be RICOHJN on the ID. They are the real deal.

TDK are good. For more info on discs check out this link, but do not go for there ad's. The deals suck.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

The disc are not going to wear out. If they burn good then they stay good, if not damaged.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    DELL Dimension 8300 XP Pro SP2
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT 1GB DDR SDRAM
    2x160GB RAID 0 SATA HDD
    16xDVD-ROM 8xDVD DL+R/+R/+RW
    19" LCD. Dolby 5.1[/small]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  3. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

jpc00
    Welcome to afterdawn!
    We welcome all of your questions and hope you'll stick around to pass on what you learn.
    That first question is always a daunting one and many before you and many after have and will post it to a forum that probably isn't the best suited to their question. This one may have been better off on the DVD Media section and not the DVDR For Advanced Users.
    I would like to say thank you for being one of the few who actually took the time to read some information around the site before ever posting. It's a rare occasion when that happens and everyone at AfterDawn appreciates it. Good Luck and burn baby burn....

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rroettger,
    Glade I could pass on some worth while information.

jpc00,
    I would by no means classify TDK as being inferior to ritek maybe vice versa or equivalent. TDK is good media just a bit pricy. Ritek is usually less expensive and perform well for a lot of people. Every burner is different and will have its preferences as far as media goes.

I use Ritek dvd+r (media code Ricohjpn R01) media exclusively as I have had very good results with it and liteys seem to prefer +r media. Use the media guide that rroettger gave you the link to as a guideline when buying media and stay away from retail store brand name media and memorex. Good luck and welcome to AD.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  5. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

Thanks for the input, and sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I guess the "gradual deterioration" problem is due to my kids handling the discs, which I suspected anyway. I'm glad to hear that the TDK media is as good or better than others listed. I will look into the ritek media if it can save me some money, but I have to use the -r variety due to play-back issues with panasonic and jvc players. Thanks again!

6. eric545

eric545 Regular member

I've recently found some 8X media at www.allmediaoutlet.com in California that is as cheap as some 4X DVD-R media that that I’ve purchased. The media is PowerMatrix 8X White Top DVD-Rs. When I used Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 to backup some DVD movies, Roxio identified the media as 12X . When I use that media in my Pioneer DVR-108 16X Dual Layer Burner, it actually burned at 12X, and only cost around thirty cents each (around $ 64.00 for 200 disc’s). I have no idea how this media will perform in other burners, but for me they have been outstanding.