1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk skipping viewing with DVD player

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by adpha1, Nov 12, 2004.

1. adpha1

adpha1 Member

Hi all. I have a weird problem which I hope one you brainers out there can help me. I Ripped several movies using DVD shrink (3.2.0.15) to my hard drive (120G 7200 rpm WD) and burned those movies to the DVD disk using either NERO OEM 6.0 or ClonDVD from slysoft. Everything seemed OK. But during viewing those disks with my DVD player, they skipped or jummped to different chapter. I don't know why. I recently have SP2 updated and installed on Windows XP Professional. I never did have any skipping problem before the update of SP2. Does any body outhere have the same problem?. Should I remove or keep SP2?. Am I missing something?. Please help! help! help!.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi adpha, welcome to aD,

It sounds like a media problem. What media are you using ?

Pete

3. adpha1

adpha1 Member

Hi Pete,
    I have a Polaroid DVD RW +- R. I never have the skipping problem before when burning disk with this drive.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

and yet again I must ask, What kind of media are you using ?

A second question, Does your HD need to be defragemented ?

Get back to me with those answers so I'll know where to go from here, OK ?

Cheers,

5. adpha1

adpha1 Member

Hi Pete.

1) I'm using TDK 4x DVD +R.
    2) My hard disk has less then 5% fragmented so I don't think it needs to be defraged.
    Come to think of it I haven't switch to different disk media to see if it would have the same weird skipping problem. Most of the disks I used before are Fujifilm and they were OK.

6. adpha1

adpha1 Member

Hi Pete.

1) I'm using TDK 4x DVD +R.
    2) My hard disk has less then 5% fragmented so I don't think it needs to be defraged.
    Come to think of it I haven't switch to different disk media to see if it would have the same weird skipping problem. Most of the disks I used before are Fujifilm and they were OK.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

adpha1,

Your TDK should be fine, stay with them.

Go into DVD Shrink, edit, preferences, General tab and change Target size to Custom and type the size as 4360MB.

Then let's try a burn using DVD Decrypter - Some reports show problems with Nero after SP2 has been loaded. Let's make sure that's where the problem lies -

The guide is 1/2 of the way down the page. Type it out and follow all setting to the letter.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Report back with your results, OK ?

Cheers,

Pete

8. thunderb

thunderb Guest

Check the nero website also for the sp2 update. When you update windows to the sp2 you need to update the Nero 6.0. The Nero website has an update specifically for sp2. Hope it helps.

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Now wait a minute ...

... You need to ID those discs ... TDK sells discs made by TDK, RITEKG04, RICOHJPN, MXC, CMC, and MCC ... All but one is a good manufacturer ... The last two times I purchased TDK discs, I got discs that were manufactured by CMC ... They're buried somewhere here in Indiana ...

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Tis the first I've heard of it -

The DataBase under CMC and under TDK shows no mention of CMC making TDK so, be fore-warned everyone sometimes you don't know until you get them in the house. Thank goodness the majority of the online dealers have a return policy.

So, TEST BEFORE YOU BURN TO BE SURE ! ! !

Pete

11. adpha1

adpha1 Member

Hello Everybody. Sorry I was out of town and didn't get back to you guys sooner.

My good man Scuba Pete. I tried everything you advised on the earlier Email but it still didn't work. I later copied movies to the DVD-R media from Maxwell that I just bought and no skipping problem encountered. I tested more copies on to several different media's such as Fujitsu; Ritedata; HQ and didn't have any skipping problem whatsoever. Anyway, During the copy process of those movies, my system still have windows-XP SP2 loaded. Thus, definitely eliminate the SP2 problem I thought earlier.

Lastnight, after backed up the movie Collateral to my hard drive, I was wondered if I may have had a bad pack of DVD's from TDK. So, I opened another package of TDK DVD's (I still have 5 unopened packages) and copy the movie Collateral to one of the new disc's just for the heck of it, I thought. Well, guess what? I didn't have any skipping problem. Cheer!! I copied several more movies on to blank DVD's of the same package and still did not encounter any skipping problem whatsoever.

Today, I read the message posted by catfreak and I thought that catfreak could be right about the CMC manufacture which made those DVD's. However; I need to know how to ID's those DVD's from CMC and run a test to see if I'd encountered the same skipping problem again.

Any way, Catfreak, if you don't mind, would you please show me how to ID's those DVD's. Since I still have 4 un-opened packages, I don't know if I have one made by CMC. If I do, and again, I'll run a test to see if skipping problem would occur.

Thanks and cheers everybody

adpha

12. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Download the free version of dvdinfo pro at www.dvdinfopro.com. Set your bad movie in your drive and set at bottom of program to where it is. Click on media at the top. Your media ID will appear in the log.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member