1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk to scratched to rip?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by klemperal, Apr 10, 2007.

1. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Yes, this disk I have is very scratched. With Rip it 4 me I have managed to get most of it, but there is still some general weirdness going on. For example, when prompted to from the root menu the DVD fails to jump to the main movie. However, the main movie itself is fine when selected from the "scene selection" part of the menu. Anyone know how to (via pgcedit) change the directory of the "play movie" button to the main movie? By the way, I'm not sure if it makes a difference--but just in case the movie I'm dealing with is the first Saw.

2. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

I figured out what the problem was--sometimes I get a little overambitious on Vobblanker.

3. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Get yourself a disc-doctor you can save some of those scratched up disc it really works crank the crap out of it you can't hurt the disc I use mine all the time on disc that will not copy clean them up and away you go. Oh yea you can use toothpaste if you don't have a disc doctor.

4. res2cue

res2cue Guest

toothpaste? Seriously? Never heard of it...

5. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Toothpaste? If only to indulge my curiosity please describe this process.

6. behrad

behrad Regular member

forget the dental care products, I am still trying to figure out what is going on with this thread. Should the tittle of the thread be: " Disk TOO scratched to rip"?

7. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

No, the tile should be "please correct the spelling and grammar of my title and the subsequent posts of myself and or anyone else who replies."

8. res2cue

res2cue Guest

being a little petty aren't you? Not to mention, before you criticize others, maybe check your own spelling.

9. Obike

Obike Member

Heres the toothpaste way it works for me everytime.
    1 - You need white toothpaste thats nice and smooth not gritty.
    2 - Cover either the entire disc of just the damaged area with the toothpaste make sure to rub it in with your finger to fill in the scratches.
    3 - Leave the disc for a minutes or 2 then remove the excess toothpaste gently with something soft like a pair of boxer shorts
    4 - when their is very little toothpaste left buff the disc off with a silk hanky or again something soft.

When its all nice and shiny your ready to go. This is not a perminant fix but could allow you to rip your disc

Warning when removing toothpaste always go from the inside to the outside edge of the disc do not rub or buff in a circular motion.

The idea is that when white toothpaste dries it dries clear thus allowing the laser to pass though and access the data correctly

10. res2cue

res2cue Guest

great, I'll give it a shot next time I need to.. thanks.

11. JVC

JVC Active member

I have used toothpaste to get rid of scratches on my watch crystal before, and it works. I've not tried it on a dvd yet. Toothpaste is a very fine, mild abrasive. That's how it cleans your teeth..........

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The tooth paste way will work for dirty and slightly scratched disks.

This is not true any smooth tooth paste will work. The tooth paste is just being used as a abraisive to buff out the scratch just try and stay away from the teeth whitining ones they may be to abrasive.

This is correct

I would recommend Microfiber cloths these are the same kind of cloths people use to clean eyeglasses, monitors, and laptop or LCD monitors. Because of microfiber’s very tight weave and the synthetic materials used to make microfiber, dust and particles of dirt are attracted and lifted up into the microfiber, which prevents you from simply spreading the dust around and scratching the DVD further.

Thats not quite correct, toothpaste is a natural abrasive; that’s how it cleans your teeth, and it will do the same for a DVD. Avoid extra-whitening formulas. Just dab a little bit of Crest or Colgate on that DVD, mix it with a little water and with either your finger or a small piece of cloth, buff those scratches away. But be careful not to over to it. DVDs aren’t as resilient as your teeth.

Now if your DVD is just dirty you should just use rubbing alcohol and water in a 1:1 mix. There is no need for the toothpaste unless the disk is scratched.

Remember
    You need to wipe a DVD in a straight line from the center of the disc to the outside edge of a disc because DVD lasers are lead astray more often by a circular scratch or a scratch that follows the path of the laser than by a straight scratch, perpindicular to the path of the laser. Also, never use a paper towel or any paper product to clean your DVDs because these products often have pieces of dirt and particles that will scratch the surface of the DVD.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  13. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Impressive, thanks for the explanation(s). Using boxer shorts as a buffer is a nice touch. This gets me to thinking though...there should be a sticky for all the ghetto quick fixes people have come up with (so long as they are not likely to ruin stuff). I'm already intrigued by the fact that several others on the forum knew about the toothpaste method.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You could just use some Brasso also (any very mild abrasive)