1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disks don't load after installing Wiikey

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by inapond, May 5, 2007.

1. inapond

inapond Member

I installed Wiikey yesterday, I was really pleased with my installation using the short wire method. Now, when I put any game into the drive it doesn't load. I don't have any back ups at the moment, just originals. I have already opened up my Wii again to check my work and check the DVD cables were installed correctly and no pins were bent.

Do I need to load the setup disk first before any other disk will work? Also, do I burn all the files in the config.1.2 .rar file or just the ones in bootdisk folder? Does it need to be burned onto a DVD-R or will it work on a CD-R?

Please help if you can.

2. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

No idea why it isnt working but you shouldnt need to do anything with the boot disk although this is what I did my first test with. If the Wii doesnt boot that dist then booting a backup will be impossible. Since your originals dont work it must be something else.

In my exp, even when I made an arse of my first install, the wii still booted originals. So I dont think its the chip. Could you have got dust on to the lens of the drive?

Does the Wii menu load?
    Do you just get disk is unreadable?

3. hugger

hugger Guest

is your wiikey a clone or not and did you get the wiikey from divineo?.

4. inapond

inapond Member

Yeah, Wii menu loads fine and I can go through all the settings no problem. The message I get when I put the disk in is:

"Unable to read the disk. Check the Wii operations manual for help troubleshooting"

5. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

can you take a picture of your soldering and post. I'm sure its not that but lets just makes sure.

6. inapond

inapond Member

My Wiikey shouldn't be a clone. I got it from games4play as a genuine and they are on Wiikey.cn as approved UK supplier

7. inapond

inapond Member

I have a picture but don't know how to post it. It looks like I have to have the picture on an url and then add an image? Can you help?

8. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

Never sure about posting photos myself. What about yahoo photos? Looks easy enough. Take a look here.....

The first photo is of my fist attempt. You can see where I went wrong, soldering to the wrong point!!! I should have known better when the chip didnt fit easily over the points. When fixing it got worse and I destroyed three of the points!!! All fixed now tho by soldering to the legs of the chip. Boy those things are small!!!

[​IMG]

9. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

I just read that again and think I must be getting tired as I'm not sure if I could have used the word "fixed" any more if I tried! lol

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You can host the photos for free at 1 of the websites below. You will have to register but like I said it is free.

http://photobucket.com/

http://imageshack.us/

Upload the photo to one of the sites above then copy the URL and type this in your message...

[*img]URL OF PICTURE[*/img]

Do not type the * when typing the tag. I had to put them in so you can see what you need to type. Make sure you type img all lower case. I have noticed if they are upper case IMG it will not link correctly and the picture will not show.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  11. Daimao

Daimao Member

in the 1.2 rar file you need to activate the batch file which has your region in it's name
    If your originals won't work either you probably have a bad connection or you connected one of the wires wrong

12. inapond

inapond Member

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You can link via Thumbnail if you choose to use thumbnails for forum 1. But you will need to change the URL and IMG to lower case in order for the site to correctly show the image.

Example:

[URL=http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wiikeyje6.jpg][IMG]http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2320/wiikeyje6.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

You would copy and paste the link into your message and change the red letters to lower case (It is case sensitive)

[​IMG]

14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I do not see any bridging of the points on the mother board but I think the below point is questionable on a good enough soldering joint...

[​IMG]

Plus this point seems to be s completly gone. This could be your problem...

[​IMG]

When putting the Wii back together are you sure you connected both the ribbon connector (Make sure you place that in correctly) plus the white connector?

15. inapond

inapond Member

Thanks for all the help so far. I have put a new wire on point 5 then tested it and it was just the same. I was starting to think that I had broken my Wii so I have just removed the Wiikey. My Wii now works again. I will try to install again to see if I have any better luck this time.

I have now installed my Wiikey 3 times (thinking third time lucky). Each time it is removed, when I test, it works perfectly. Here are some pictures of my latest install. Please comment if you see I have done anything wrong...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that there must be a problem with my Wiikey as I have now installed it 3 times and when installed no disk loads. What do you think?

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  16. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

If it works without the chip but not with it then it sounds like you got a faulty chip. The offical wiikeys have a warentee on them, you can send them back for replacment if they dont work (once the website comes back up anyway) If you got a clone then you're outta luck.

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Did you put tape under the chip when installing it?

There could be a short between the Modchip and motherboard if you have nothing between the 2. I would take some black electrical tape and tape the bottom side of the Wiikey then try soldering it in.

To me it seems like something might be making a bridge which is making it not play both original games and backups. But it also could be a faulty Modchip.

18. inapond

inapond Member

I didn't put any tape on. Was going to do that after testing. I did look where the Wiikey was going to be near and it has the ribbon cable over it. I have checked the ribbon cable and there are no marks or damage on it. I don't think this is the problem (I could be wrong).

I am thinking it must be a faulty modchip. For me to install it 3 times and to have exactly the same symptoms... I think it is more likely that my install has been fine from the begining and it is just the modchip.

I have e-mailed my supplier about returning it and also sent them a link to this to see all of your advice also. Monday is a holiday in UK so will have to wait til Tuesday for reply.

19. inapond

inapond Member

Ah - you said tape under it. No. Should this always be done? Is it a common problem?

20. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It isn't common but it is recommended if you do a quick solder or an install like you have done to place tape under it. Like I said it might not be the problem but it wouldn't hurt to try it out.