1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display Crash

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by axo1usa, May 10, 2004.

1. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

I began having trouble on my P4 ati card and had to chuck the entire hardware and software out of my system. Consequently, I went to a default (standard)
    VGA adapter.It rebooted fine once. Then on restart
    it apparently loaded an entire set of Microsoft driveers for everything it found.After perusing my property manager I purged those out of my system.Weird, but it also loaded double of all hardware
    within my sytem.In safe mode I deleted the duplicates.
    Now, I boot and up comes a display of ~1/8"thick X 1" dark lines in repetitve rows.In safe mode I check, and it says it's running a standard VGA driver.How come I can't get an image other than in safe mode?How do I resolve this?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

In safe mode, did you try to install the correct video driver for your system? Sometimes the standard default driver won't work right. I just worked on a Compaq computer with lines similar to what you are talking about. I had to research the system and download the exact driver to get it to work properly. Some systems are very picky and need the manufacturer's drivers.

Jerry

3. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Thanks. I have a set of drivers in my C drive downloaded as the latest from ATI and for my card. When I go to upload them, while in safe mode, it just will not let me go through the uploading process.
    My computer will only give me a display in safe mode, thus, I can't do anything with my CD drive to try to upload drivers again. Guess I'm scresed on that 'puter
    Unless someone has a bright idea..

4. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

In safe mode it defaults to a standard VGA monitor.So why doesn't it do the same when I try to boot up the normal display?

5. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Well, I went back to the roots and reinstalled windows.Didn't help! I can reformat, but I hate to lose some of my files on that hard drive.I could just
    pop another hard drive in and format if only I knew how to extract files from one hard drive to another.I have about 3 sitting collecting dust after failing me one way or another.Each one has about 1 file that I need, but don't have to have.Starting a new thread on copying hard drive files.Please respond to either thread.Thanks.