1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx 5.2.1 variable bit rate question

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Rylenol, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Rylenol

Rylenol Member

Hey guys, I am following the guide for converting DVD to DIVX with the 4:3 aspect ratio. I am at the stage in virtual dub where I chose my cideo compression, I am stuck! In the guide, i think its outdated since the picture shown to describe what to do shows divx 5.0 codec, anyway the guide says to save the first pass with the variable bit rate mode reading "2-pass, first pass", and the save the second pass with the variable bit rate mode reading "2-pass, second pass". I do not see these options in the 5.2.1 codec properties, I only see "1-pass", "multipass, 1st pass", and then "multipass, nth pass". Which variable bit rate mode do I select for saving the first pass, and then which do I select for the second pass? maybe the guide should be updated to reflect the most recent divx 5.2.1 codec, well anyhelp would be greatly appreciated, thanx.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Depending on the 'profile' there are no other limitations except the maximum bitrare for that profile. E.g. 'Portable Profile' (VCD) must have a bitrate <= 760 kbps. 'Home Theater profile' (DVD) must have a bitrate up to 4000 kbps (4000 = pratically a DVD VOB movie, in size).
    On 1-pass the codect uses always your maximum bitrate. On multipass, the codec analyses the movie at 1st pass, and set the bitrate (maximum = the bitrate you chose) according to the found 'divx.log' on 2nd pass. Multipass is a way to have less size than maximum (1-pass), using a determined bitrate.
    Xvid is pratically equal, but uses different names (AS @ L3, AS @ L5; target size from 1 [maximum quality] to 31 [smallest size]) for the profiles.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  3. Rylenol

Rylenol Member

Well I finished both passes, the 1st pass file came out to 57 MB and the 2nd pass file came out to 711MB, the 1st pass file does not play any video it just has audio and has the same time length as the 2nd pass(42 minutes) The second pass file has video and sound so im assuming this file is the final product? For this project for the 1st pass I chose "multipass, 1st pass" and for the 2nd pass I chose "multipass, nth pass" encode mode, did I do this correctly, and also are two passes necesary, for example could I just select "1pass" under encode mode and just produce one file?
    I am also having trouble with the file size, it is 711MB, 11MB over what can fit on a 700MB CD-R, in the DVtool DataRate Calculator however I selected 700MB 80 Min CDR for storage media, 160KB MP3, and then 42 minutes, the length of the DVD. I set the Kbit per second just as the calculator told me, 2115, in my divx codec in virtual dub, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanx.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Could be that one was using 1,000 and the other 1,024
    (1024/1000*(700-50))+50=715MB's. Also there is overhead which the calculator might not have taken into account.

5. Rylenol

Rylenol Member

well I am following the DVD to Divx 4:3 guide but I am just trying to make one CD-R rather than two since the documentary DVD is only 42 minutes. What do you mean celtic by 1,000 and 1,024?

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well somee apps treat 1 kbit as 1,000bits and others as 1,024bits.

7. Rylenol

Rylenol Member

So for the new divx 5.2.1 encoding dod i select "multipass, 1st pass" for the first pass and then "multipass, nth pass" for the second pass?

8. Rylenol

Rylenol Member

Im using the apps that are recommended under the DVD to Divx 4:3 guide, I just realized that the audio on my track is not on synch with the video, so far nothing has gone right with the process, I think the guide should be updated to help users using divx 5.2.1 instead of divx 5.0! The Divx 5.2.1 encoding settings differ from the 5.0 and as a newbie it is difficult for me to adjust, for example in the guide it says to select "2 pass, 1st pass" for the first pass and then "2 pass, 2nd pass" for the second pass, there are no such options in the 5.2.1 codec, i only see "1st pass", "multipass, 1st pass", and finally "multipass, nth pass", which do i select for the first and second pass?

9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Why don't you just try something like AutoGK or Dr. DivX?

10. shiroh

shiroh Guest

why don't you try xvid ?