1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIVX 5 playback slower than DIVX4 ?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by cd-rw.org, Mar 9, 2002.

1. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I've been experimenting with DIVX5 now, and it really seems that the playback is slower than with DIVX4.12 codec. WIth the older codec I was able to use full level of post-processing, but with the version 5 I am experiencing decreased framerate.

My system is on the edge, 585mhz PIII, but as I said, things were ok with 4.12.

2. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Same problem here. 4.12 worked all-right, at least when the compression-part didn´t freeze the whole PC. Where did you get a 585mhz P3, overclocking, I myself have a 500mhz version.

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

There's apparently problems with DivX5 playback for some reason -- this happens for some people and not for some. Let's try to scale this problem down to some level. What OS and DirectX are you guys using?

I have W2k + DX 8.1, playback works fine (DivX5 Pro) for DivX5 clips (using q-pel, bidir, gmc and no psy's / over 1000kbps bitrate / 2-pass obviously).

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I am running W2K, DX8.0a.

Ghostdog,

Yes this is overcloked. Will try to go for 620mhz later today;)

dRD,

As we discussed on the ICQ, DIVX5 has more post processing than DIVX4. So the maximum quality setting of DIVX5 will stress CPU more than DIVX4. On the other hand, a lower level of quality in DIVX5 should roughly match the maximm level of quality in DIVX4(?).

But there is still something wrong with the (TV)screen update using DIVX5. The update is somehow "lazy". This can been seen as sort of flickering the the camera os panning or large objects are moving on the film. This should be due to lack of CPU power, since I reduced the post processing to a level that my system seems to handle with 50-80% load.

5. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Windows 98SE and DirectX 8.0(I think, could be 8.1, but a system diagnostics program only told me DX 8 so...).
    This is the first time the 2-pass-method made a ready movie for me. The last time I tried DVD->DivX 2-pass the PC always froze during the night. 1-pass did work though.

6. tkane18

tkane18 Member

I also noticed that files I previously created using Divx 4.12 now playback slow since I loaded Divx 5. I have since uninstalled 5 and reinstalled 4.12.

7. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

yeah, same here. Might try the rip again. If divX networks releases some sort of a fix or a newer version that´ll fix the bug I´ll start using DivX5 again.

8. DCJoeDog

DCJoeDog Guest

i turned down quality to half way and it looks the same,to me atleast, and play alotr smoother

its on options

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2002