1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx avi loses sound sync when converted to dvd???

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by agincourt, Mar 9, 2005.

1. agincourt

agincourt Member

I know there have been some similar threads, but none seem to solve my problem. I have an AVI (700mb) that has divx in the title. Not sure if it really is or not though. The AVI plays perfectly on my pc. Normally I just use Winavi to convert and burn to dvd. In this case once I do the sound ends up being about 30secs behind. I have tried downloadin codec packs, various converters (dvdsanta, tmpg, superdvd, cucusoft, no.1 video converter etc etc) and always end up with the same result. Surely there is a simpler fix than seperating the audio from the video and re-aligning? This is the only file I have ever failed to convert successfully. Thanks for your help....

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Probably not.
    Get Gspot, open the avi, and tell us what video and audio codec's are being used (better yet, post a screen shot).
    If it's VBR mp3 audio, it will never get in sync in any of the programs you've tried.
    You will have to separate audio, transcode to .wav, then use the .wav as audio source during encode.
    Even then, there's no guarantees.

3. agincourt

agincourt Member

Wouldn't you know it. As soon as I posted this thread I did exactly what you said (off my own bat) and discovered it was in fact an xvid not divx. Still didn't explain why dvdSanta failed to convert successfully as it supposedly supports xvid. Downloaded all the latest avi codecs then tried a new program I found called VSO Divx to DVD (also does xvid). EUREKA!!!!!!!
    Conversion took a couple of hours I think (I went to bed). At first it says there are a whole batch of problems but the program just duplicates frames and finds other ways to keep the vid in sync. Don't panic, just let it run. I have played the dvd in my player and after fast forwarding from scene to scene it seems to be 100%.
    So I guess you can say I am giving VSO Divx to DVD a huge thumbs up!!!!
    Thaanks for your input though and I hope the multitude of people stuffing around with crappy programs give this one a go....

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Another program you might want to investigate is WinAVI video converter. It does a good job on dvd stuff, and let's you change a few settings if needed, which VSO won't.

5. agincourt

agincourt Member

I already use WinAVI 99.9% of the time. It is easily the quickest and in my opinion the best converter available. However in this case it also failed to convert the file without losing audio sync. That's the only reason I even gave the others a try, and I have to say they won't get used again except in those extremely rare instances that WinAVI doesn't do the job. VSO Divx to DVD was the only other program that even comes close in terms of ease of use and speed of conversion.
    For others reading this please note that WinAVI is especially sensitive to interruption, so don't even think of having other programs running when you use it. Other than that it rules.

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Just an FYI, the one thing that all encoders have trouble with, is Variable BitRate (VBR) mp3 audio.
    For making an (S)VCD or DVD, the audio must be Constant BitRate (CBR), and encoders just have a hard time getting a CBR audio track from a VBR source.
    IMHO this is another thing that should be standardized, but many people, when they generate a source avi (from cam, dvdrip, or whatever) use VBR mp3 audio, because it takes up less room, thus a smaller file. These people should be shot. :)

7. agincourt

agincourt Member

Well there you go!!! I feel smarter already. I guess if there weren't all these problems all the time we'd get bored a lot quicker. PS I'm more than happy to be the shooter on the grassy knoll....