1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIVX AVI's to MPEG's Too Big

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by jcarter, Mar 14, 2003.

1. jcarter

jcarter Member

right, i tried to search but that wasnt working, then read thru about 100 threads tryna find an answer but couldnt! but sorry if it's already been posted, but this is really gettin on my nerves!

right the problem is:

i downloaded a few divx movies.. around 700meg each, and on trying to convert them to mpegs to burn into vcd's it says they are unsupported, found out i had to decompress them!
    fair enough i done that, but suddenly the avi becomes 1.44 gig (a rough guess) and so once i convert the files into mpeg wont they be about 2-3gig? and then that means im goin to have to split them onto 4-5 disks!

has anyone got an easier way to do this, becoz im stumped n dont have a clue!

thx

2. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

jcarter,
    DivX is a highly compressed video format. You will need to decompress it into mpg format if you want to put it on vcd. The problem is that when you do this the new mpg files will take up a LOT of space (and also the quality won't be nearly as good). So let's back up for a sec and ask why do you want to put DivX videos into vcd format when the DivX format is much clearer and will compress much better than mpg/vcd? If it's because you want to play them on your dvd player because it can play vcd's, then have you considered just burning the DivX movies to a cd, running a RCA cable from your computer's video card to your vcr/dvd player/tv and playing the cd on your computer while watching the video on the tv?

Your alternatives at this point are:

1) Burn the DivX movies to cd or leave them on your hard drive and watch them on your computer only,

2) Burn the DivX movies to cd or leave them on your hard drive and run an RCA cable from your computer to your tv so you can watch them on tv also,

3) Convert the DivX movies into mpg format and burn them onto vcd sacrificing video quality and needing to use about 3 or so cd's per movie.

Another thing to bear in mind is that if you are wanting to put the DivX videos into vcd format so you can watch them on your vcd-enabled dvd player, new dvd players are coming out this year that are DivX-enabled. In fact, there are already 2 or 3 stand-alone DivX-enabled dvd players out, you just have to look for them ;-)

3. jcarter

jcarter Member

thx alot for the reply!

i bet the new dvd players cost a bomb tho!
    i'm not so bothered about losing the little bit of quality of the films, i just wanna be able to take them to other places and watch them!

they cant be as bad as telecine films that i've got! i've tried running a cable to my tv, altho it's in another room! but the picture was terrible! was all squashed n black and white!

so by your reply im guessing the only way to convert them into vcd is to put them onto about 3+ discs! ahwell thx for the info though!

jc

4. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Yeah, they ain't cheap! You could take DivX cd's with you as long as the place you're going has a computer (with divx codec installed). If you want to watch them at another location on the tv there then there'd have to be a computer and a RCA cable to a tv (or a new swanky-megabucks DivX/DVD player).

Funny problem you had with the ichy display on the tv though. That could be a couple different things. It's kinda hard to know exactly what it is without being there but you could be trying to play an NTSC-framerate movie in a PAL-framerate region (or vice versa). The other thing I'd look at is in your display properties make sure your video card knows you are trying to output to a tv. You may have to change a setting or two and then restart the computer. That part can actually take a while to figure out depending on all the bells and whistles of your particular display card. I know it took me a couple of hours trying to rig my dad's computer so we could watch my DivX rips at his place. Just keep at it til it works.

Hint: It's been awhile since I hooked up my dad's computer, but I do remember you have to set your display card up to have dual displays (one for the computer monitor and one for the tv). The way I ended up getting it to work was I'd start playing an avi in Windows Media Player and then I'd drag Windows Media Player to the right, off-screen. When I did that, it would slide-in from the left over on the tv screen. It was pretty cool that it did it this way cause then my dad could go over and work on his computer still if he had to without interrupting the movie playback.

Let me know if you're able to get the playback dialed-in on the tv RCA connection and how you did it.

5. jcarter

jcarter Member

yeah thats exactly what i did the last time i tried to watch it! altho im not really bothered bout this becoz i have quite a big monitor screen n its a big fuss just for watchin it on a bigger screen! plus the places i wanna take i would prefer to be able to play thru a dvd player becoz i dont think they have a computer in the same room or even have one! but i guess i'm stumped! but thx for the help tryna find a solution!
    cheers
    jc