1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx Codec AVI's some are not playable on my PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by GeeSlimmy, Feb 10, 2008.

1. GeeSlimmy

GeeSlimmy Member

hi,

I'm currently running the latest firmware update for PS3. I use Win Media Player 11 for my media server. The problem is that I noticed that some Divx codec compressed avi's are playable and others are not on my PS3.. ? Is this because of a higher bit rate on some Divx codec Avi's then others? I cannot figure out why certain Divx codecs AVI's are showing as corrupt on my PS3 and others are playable?

2. GeeSlimmy

GeeSlimmy Member

or does this have to do with certain characters in the file name?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  3. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

Not all divx files can be played.

The information Sony tells us about this is "files that were encoded by using DivX 3.11 cannot be played" quoted from thier official site.

Ive heard a few people have had problems,but so far i have been fine,strangly i have two AVI files that play on my PS3 but it wont show any information about them.

4. GeeSlimmy

GeeSlimmy Member

That's interesting.. Yeah, I just read this also.. but, I read this "That's not the problem. The problem is that some XviD movies are encoded with a custom matrix. These movies appear to be the ones that are not working.

As long as an XviD is encoded with a Default matrix (H.263 or MPEG), it should play just fine. " .. I too noticed that the information is missing on the Playable Divx codec avi's.. it's always missing..strange.. Do you know any work around to get this files that are not playable to play? converting them or something other?

5. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

Im not sure,i think convrting them to a Divx format that works would help.