1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx movie freezes, audio continues...

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Excal, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Excal

Excal Guest

Media Player plays like the first 10 seconds of the movie, then the video locks up but the sound continues. I am using both newest Xvid and Divx codecs, any ideas?

2. sgibbons

sgibbons Member

are you using dvdx, does it happen between 5 and 10 seconds into the movie and the picture stays frozen while the sound continues for the whole movie. im having that problem can anyone help?

3. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Perhaps resaving the movie will help.

Download VirtualDub.

Load movie in vdub.

Select Direct Stream Copy in video menu as well as the audio menu.

Save avi.

4. sgibbons

sgibbons Member

I have virtualdub already and have tried that already the file seems to just stop the video while the sound carries on. The files are on cd so the data is either there or not it couldn't have modified itself and i would not seriously consider it possible that every file has become corrupted. The files are television series like the simpsons, six feet under and the sopranos. I have also tried converting the file format from dvix mpeg 4 to vcd,svcd and mpeg 2 without any luck. I first thought this was an video overlay problem with my graphics card and realone that i was using to play back the files but i have the old hardware and have put them back into the machine and the problem still exists. The problem is also not restricted to only my machine, evey pc i have access to has failed to go further than my pc on playback so i don't think its hardware. The only thing i can think of is a additional file put in by dvdx that prevents distribution of the software by encoding into the file a discription of the hardware used to encode the file, so only allowing playback on that machine. Does this sound possible, does it actually happen? I would have thought just putting my original hardware back in would have solved the problem if that had been the case, i don't know enough and are stumped.

5. Manngo

Manngo Member

Try to download Gspot. It will give U information about the avi, the codec, and checks, if U have everything installed to play the movie.

6. sgibbons

sgibbons Member

Already done that i have all the necessary codecs installed and a number of playback software packages. Remember with this problem the file plays back perfectly for 5 to 10 seconds with no sync problems jumpy picture or sound nothing is wrong until the picture freezes, it doesn't hang it permenantly stops in every program i have that is possible to open up the file and do anything with it. It seems either a video overlay buffer is filled resulting in the card not refreshing the screen with a new image from the file every 1/24th of a second after a 5 to 10 second initial duration of perfect playback or the software has some code in it that only allows the title manufactures logo to be displayed WB fox dreamworks skg

7. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

You mention that the files are on a cd. Do the problems occur even when copying the files to your harddrive and playing them from there?

So, you have perfect playback on the machine that you used to encode these episodes? Although I have a hard time believing dvdx would be created to do something like that.

Are these problems recent? Or did you experience them after encoding?

8. sgibbons

sgibbons Member

Again i tried that before as i thought maybe there was a problem with the dvd-rom drive and the new nec being on the same ide cable. Unfortuneately, there wass still a problem with the playback when i copy the cd data on to the hard drive and played it from there i also copied the cd directly on to another computer on my lan and tried to play it remotely over the network the files still had the same problem. There isn't anything hardware related which i have not tried in a different combination to see if there was an unresolved and undetected hardware conflict but this doesn't appear to be the case. The common link is that they were all encoded using dvdx and everything else has been investigated. I know its not a codec problem as the file plays back just fine for the first 5 to 10 seconds. The only thing i could think it could be is a incompatibility between the new graphics card and dvdx but why then didn't reinstalling the card back into the pc i.e resetting the system back to the configuration that the files last worked in solve the problem?

9. sgibbons

sgibbons Member

No i don't have perfect playback on the machine that i encoded them because i have recently changed the configuration added a geforce fx 5600 and a nec nd-1300a and the files stopped working after doing this. It is a recent problem and the files worked perfectly from the hard disk or cd before i changed the hardware.

10. dammit

dammit Member

Hey everyone I had the same problem. Indeed the Divx Pro Player lets you watch those divxs. It is my guess that in addition to now incorporating syware into their "free" version of the player, they also tweaked the codec so that it will not play in any other player! Which brings me to the second problem of finding a version of the pro player! Well, after some searching, I've hit the jackpot and stumbled on an older version of the divx51 bundle. You can get it here:

http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX51Bundle.exe
    or at the website under "standard divx codec". When I installed I chose not to install the codec, but only the player.

Hope this helps

11. sgibbons

sgibbons Member

Thank you everybody that has provided assistance on this matter especially dammit. This was exactly the problem. I have now installed the codecs as shown in the stable codec configuration on this forum and in conjunction with the use of a divxpro player the files now play back. I also realised what the cue of the freezing is. The older players do not display the divx icon at the bottom of the screen when opening a file encoded in the latest codecs. The program then tries to fade out the icon and the program video freezes. thank you once again for all the assistance rendered to me on this matter