1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX no sound

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Arpela1, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Kresh

Kresh Member

chrisw, see that you got your chance to slam XP and I must say I can't think of a more boring thing the read about in my life! A guy talking about why 2k is better then XP, who the hell cares,. XP has the future support and that is more important then anything you said, most of which wasn’t true, so get over it. You sound like a MAC by praising things that go against an overall universal standard OS which on the planet earth 2003 is Windows XP Pro. Just accept it and move on...

2. JudgeColt

JudgeColt Member

I have a DivX movie with no sound. Here is a screenshot of the properties of the movie http://www.skyphix.com/~maxim/nosound.jpg
    The bitrate for the audio is really high. About the same bitrate that you would see on raw .vob files for the audio. Whatever media player I use to open it with attempts to download a codec for it but is unsuccessful, similar to what happens when someone has encoded a movie with DivX Audio (WMA v2) and you don't have the DivX Audio codec installed. It will play the video but no sound. The movie is in two parts (700 MB for each part) and it is K-19 The Widowmaker with Harrison Ford. Anyone know how I can salvage the sound in this movie?

3. chrisw

chrisw Member

Colt: have you installed the Fraunhofer DVD audio and video filters? They include a .vob decoder and an AC3 audio decoder, as used in VOB files... This means you can open a VOB file straight from your DVD/hard disc without having to decode it. No particular reason for doing that, it's just useful in some rare occasions.

What you describe sounds like a movie with AC3 audio... Try the codecs and see what happens.

Download here: http://www.subpage.net/Soft21/Filters/freedvd.zip (couldn't find the link on divx-digest, but this is a mirror of the doom9 site, whose download page wouldn't resolve on my connection tonight.)

Other useful filters to have installed: http://www.divx-digest.com/software/stream_switcher.html
    (for DivXes with multiple audio streams)

There are more, but they're to each individuals' liking.

Kresh, just out of curiosity, what did I say that wasn't true? Just wondering.

There's no innate "future-proofness" in XP that 2K doesn't have... It can support bluetooth, firewire and USB2 if you install the PCI cards (or if your mobo has them integrated). USB works great, much faster and with less bugs under Win2K Pro than in XP Pro, due to an established driver base and stabler underlying code. Compromises were made in XP because they rushed through the final stages... Hell, they weren't even going to support USB2 officially until a couple of months or so before launch.

They slap together an inferior interface than they could have made if they'd given themselves enough time, there's too many annoying little bugs in XP's GUI to let me use it satisfactorily. They did some very stupid things in the area of hardware support, and yes, while the operating system may support more devices without needing to have drivers supplied than 2000, is the support _better_ than in 2K once the devices are installed? XP is notorious for its frankly dodgy webcam support... Some makes work great and others crash the machine, freeze it, won't initialise, blah blah blah... where the same cameras work without a hitch in 2000.

It's all these small niggles, bugs and glitches that influence my opinion of this operating system. Add to this Microsoft's monopolistic tendencies, highlighted with their latest service pack for Windows, which gives us a taster of their privacy-invading ideas for the future. Their latest attempt at a decent operating system is full of holes in my opinion, complete with a nice handful of security exploits that weren't there in previous OSes. :/

XP has the _potential_ to be a good OS, don't get me wrong, it's just that at its current incarnation it's nowhere near. Those who just blindly install a new operating system without waiting for a few months or years (necessary in MS' case) for all the bugs to be worked out of it, are nothing but sheep, lambs to the slaughter of PC woe.

And it comes with a handy Duplo© interface.

I'm not trying to flame, troll or stir here, but what you said required me to explain my point of view on this, and I just did (while trying to convert a few people... But hey, that's what Jesus did right =). Nothing more to say on the subject. <dark>For now.</dark>