1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX on Xvid player?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by voyager13, Feb 7, 2007.

1. voyager13

voyager13 Guest

Hi
    I have movies in DivX which doesn't play on my Xvid DVD player. If I don't want to convert them to Xvid, is there any alternative way I can play those DivX movies on the Xvid player?

Thanks heaps
    voyager13

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

What is the make and model of your "xvid dvd player", because I have never heard of such a thing. Usually it is the other way around, players which can play mpeg4 files are called "divx players". Xvid is one kind of mpeg4 file, divx is another. Most players will play both.

If you really want an answer, please could you check about your player, and also get an app called G-Spot and run it on your divx files and tell us what codecs they were made with.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well Xvid does have a certification programme: http://www.xvidsolutions.com/Product-Certification.36.0.html

Still I agree, I can only recall hearing of one player that was supposed to be certified and it was also DivX certified.

If it really doesn't support DivX fourCC's (DX50, DIVX) then you could just change them. For DivX3 though you would have to convert to ISO MPEG-4 first though. There is a modification to ffmpeg that allows you to do this without re-encoding.