1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX playback too dark

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by RMSe17, Jan 31, 2007.

1. RMSe17

RMSe17 Member

I am not sure if this is the right place for this, so if it not, could you please point me in the right direction?

I recently built a new computer (C2D 2.4, 2GB, GeForce 7950GT, ASUS P5W DH) and after downloading latest DivX codec from www.divx.com (I think it's the free 6.5 version) all the movies played appear really dark, to the point where I cant even see what is going on. This happens in window mode and full screen. Is there some setting in the codec or something else that I could do to fix this problem? My previous setup of GeForce 6600GT and DivX 5.something didn't have any problems, so I am guessing it is one of those 2 variables.

Thanks,
    RMSe17

2. tony15202

tony15202 Member

I had a similiar problem with Xvid playback. Reinstalling the video driver after installing the codecs corrected the problem.

3. RMSe17

RMSe17 Member

Yea, I figured it out last week actually. It wasn't just DivX, it was pretty much any videos. Turns out for some reason, nVidia drivers set the Video Overlay brightness and contrast to near 0 by default. The Desktop color setting were normal, and I didn't know there was a separate setting for video overlay. The strange thing is that it happened again, after fresh OS reinstall. Latest nVidia drivers just use wack setting for default video files on my GeForce 7950GT...

Thanks,
    RMSe17