1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX Player Question

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by zany, Apr 12, 2004.

1. zany

zany Member

Iv'e seen dvd players that can play DivX how does this work or how do you play your Divx movies on it?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Very similar to DVD player that recognises and plays VCD - the key is recognition. Any .AVI file will be tried with their generic MPEG4 codec, and I'm sure some will not playback.
    I have heard that GMC and/or quarter-pixel usage could disqualify an AVI from compatibility.
    Yes, I wonder how exactly you would burn your AVI, what specific layout would these players be looking out for?
    I think these players are a fine idea, but the next step might be MP3 disks from the Record Labels and MPEG4 AVI disks from the movie studios - is this what we want?
    Regards
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]IT Technician BSc MCSA
    XP2500+Barton 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  3. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

you know i wondered that myself for a while until some1 on this forum told me how simple and easy it is, all you do is burn ur divx file on a cd/dvd as a data disc and viola pop it into the divx dvd player and theres the movie/whatever, no need to re-encode to vcd, svcd or dvd, and with some divx movies coming under the 700mb mark, its easy to fit a whole movie onto a cd-r, mutiple movies on a dvd. but they come at a price, the newest kiss mpeg-4 compatible dvd-player comes in at a whopping $400(AU currency), so if yourve got money to chuck around well y not i spose

cheers m8

4. oasisfan

oasisfan Guest

just got one yesterday yamada dvx 6600 £70.99.tried about 20 divx and xvid so far with only one failure (no sound) well worth the money

5. zany

zany Member

that sounds brilliant :)i'll have to get 1 myself. Just 1 question how do you play the movie do you just burn it onto a blank cd??????????

6. oasisfan

oasisfan Guest

yes, you just burn as a data cd using nero.it even plays the movies from dvd.just burn 5 or 6 of them onto a dvd then put it in the player.a menu system lets you scroll through whats on the disc and select what you want to play.i don't think it will be that impressive as a dvd player alone (compared to more expensive branded players) bue perfectly acceptable.

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Is there a specific type of resolution, framerate and bitrate supported or can I arbitrarily select them?

8. oasisfan

oasisfan Guest

havn't been able to find any technical info on the player so far.I maybe wrong but the player seems to display the movies as they were encoded.screen ratio is maintained and picture quality is as good if not better that using a media player.

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If you've got the time and disc to spare try encoding a quick, say minute long clip you can find almost anywhere on the net (i.e., video game trailers etc) to some obscure spec:
    Resolution: 552x192
    FPS: hmm.... 28
    BITRATE: 2800
    Since its a short clip it should take too long. Also, with respect to XviD support, is there a difference if we use differing versions of the codec? :)