1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx sound and picture don't match

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by cryojon, Sep 28, 2002.

1. cryojon

cryojon Member

I've downloaded a number of films and they have been fine, but recently i've downloaded a coulpe where the picture and sound don't match up. the quality of the picture is excellent but the sound is about 10 seconds ahead in all of them. is there a way to fix this? is it the program i'm using to view them?

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I hate that. They are not in sync. You can make them sync by getting virtualdub. First check approx how many seconds the sound is out and then click audio - interleaving.

In this you can make the audio start before the video or make the audio delay. Keep messing around until you get it right then click video - direct stream copy + click audio - direct stream copy and the click file - save avi. The output movie should now be in sync for you.

3. HI2047

HI2047 Member

DELA,
    I've got virtualdub,nero 5.,tmpgenc plus movie looks good sound is in sync most of the time.The sync problem is not consistent. Is this just my dvd player? Tried by suggestion different motion search precision, bitrate, burn speed still no fix. Suggestions?
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 2, 2002
  4. Dela

Is the whole movie out of sync or is it just a small bit of the movie???

5. HI2047

HI2047 Member

it's just a small bit every so often. never in the same spot either.I thought it might be my dvd player trying to keep up.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2002
  6. Dela

When running the conversion, do you run any other programs???

The audio often falls behind when you have vbr underflows/overflows which could be the problem here.

7. HI2047

HI2047 Member

thanks dela that was my problem!

8. Dela

O.K Anytime ya need help!!!!

9. xconvict

xconvict Member

Dela- I am somewhat of a newbie ripping my dvds. I have used a number of problems such as smart ripper and another to encode. Also use dvdx 2.0 to rip and encode. Both work fine except the audio is not in synch. Reading below I noticed your question to HI2047, "When running the conversion, do you run any other programs??? " I have, but my synch is fine in the first part of the move but gets EVENLY worse as the move runs and is about 10 seconds out in the end. Some DVD are oppisite (they are real bad at first and get gradually better and are fine in the end? I have tried to use synchronizer but that does not help unless the entire movie is out of synch for the same amount of time. I am encoding on a p3 600 mhz, will using other programs still hamper my av synch problems? I also tried with andwithout the synch box checked. Hell I even tried ripping all the vobs first then encoding, and ripping directly from the drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2002
  10. Dela

there is an overflow or underlow somewhere if it gets worse throughout the movie. What program do you use to encode??

11. xconvict

xconvict Member

I have tried 2 encoders:

1) Ripped movie with smart ripper and used the "ripitall" software package to encode.

2) Used DIDx 2.0 to rip (with internal methods) and dvdx to encode.

12. Dela

Im not too familiar with these. Did you use one of the guides on this site?

13. xconvict

xconvict Member

sory, it is dvdx 2.0 not didx.

As for the giudes, dvdx and ript it all both use some of the same set of instructions. I gues what im running into is, one program can be good for ripping and encoding audio, but sucks for video, or another could be great for video but audio mux'ing sucks. I will look back on the guides on this site and try to do the steps differently. There is just so much out there and nothing really set. For example some people say by ripping all the vob files to ones hard drive is bad becasue the audio never sync's right to video, that encoding realtime (audio and video) is the way to go. But there seems to be problems with both. Or perhaps my dvd is to old. It is a first generation dvd drive in an older IBM p II. Although they playback fine using windvd.

14. Dela

Ye I find winDVD great for playback!!