1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx Standalone DVD Player

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by GaryJ, Oct 13, 2007.

1. GaryJ

GaryJ Guest

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but, i could not find anything on it.

I have successfully converted alot of my DVD's to Divx files using Handbrake on my iMac computer, and, all went well.

I am getting crystal clear quality and everything is good.

Bieng that there are alot of DVD players that play Divx files out on the market, i figured I would buy one last week.

So, i get it home, and, burn some discs and put them in the player , and, to my surprise, the audio is out of sync with the video. Keep in mind, that, it is not very bad, but, enough for me to notice and bother me.

The player is a Phillips DVP3140. I tried using the Xvid codec, and, the FFmpeg codec, and, they always seem to be a little out of sync.

Is this a known problem for Standalone Divx players? Or, is it because I bought a cheaper one, that the decoder is low end.

When I went to Best Buy and asked the tech, he told me that MANY people come back to the store and tell him the same thing. He said they get those complaints for MANY different models of Divx players they have in stock. So, am I supposed to assume that the standalone Dvix players still need some work?

Please advise if anyone else has these problems.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Gary

2. billybob

billybob Regular member

3. GaryJ

GaryJ Guest

Thanks for your quick reply billybob.

I am using a MAC so the dos executable is unfortunately not going to help me at the moment.

I am having a hard time thinking it is a problem on the computer end though. All of my encoded movies work perfectly in sync on the computer. They go out of sync when I put them in the DVD player. Like I mentioned though, it is really not that noticeable, but, if you pay attention, you can notice it. And certain parts of the movie it is out of sync, and, other parts , it is back in sync. This happens for evey single movie I have encoded.

That's what leads me to believe that it is the DVD player. But, the tech at best Buy is telling me that they all (all of the ones best buy has, at least) do this.

I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their Standalone Divx DVD player. And, if they fixed it, how, and what model number they are using.

But, thanks again for your reply.

Gary

4. billybob

billybob Regular member

Okay. When you burn these videos too disc, try burning them at a much slower speed. The slower you burn them, generally it burns at better quality.

?

5. GaryJ

GaryJ Guest

Ok...I could be wrong here, but, I just did what you said, and, in addition to burning it at a low speed, I checked on 2-pass encoding (IN handbrake for the MAC), backed up my "Fantastic 4" movie, and, it really looks it made a difference.

So, not sure if it was the burning speed, or, the 2 pass for encoding, but, something just worked.

Thanks again :)

I am going to try a few more of my DVD's. I just hope it wasn't just something in the "Fantastic 4" movie. I hope the others work too.

6. GaryJ

GaryJ Guest

Forget it....spoke to soon. This is the strangest thing. It seems in sync, then, it'll go to a different scene, be out of sync, then a different one, back in again......etc.....etc

is ANYONE having this issue ??????????? I'm losing my mind here

7. billybob

billybob Regular member

I hate it when that happens...you think you have solved the problem then it turns out you havent.

You see, i know nothing about MACs, so maybe im not the best helper here.

Im completely baffled.

Why dont you try using another program?

Sorry i couldnt be of more help.